More wood stoves

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: More wood stoves

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Well now!!! you're half way to easy street :mrgreen: That comes when they are all out of the nest. :geek:

Congratulations Grandpa!!!! :D

A cheerleader with dimples...............You might as well work long hours so you don't worry about her :lol:

You're doing good simplepeddler, Mrs. peddler also :D

Thanks for the explanation on the stove build. He puts lots of work into one and deserves the $ in return. Looks like the pot sits well on the supports.

2 hours cook time........hmmmm :( taste better be good for that length of time :D How many approx. partake in the competition? I ask because of the amount of fuel consumed in the stoves. ?Cords wow!!!! I'll have to google the event and read up ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 pm

The BIG pot guys usually start around 150 or then wittle down to six finalist through "heats"
They have to cook ten pounds of rice in EACH pot.
All Jambalaya is the property of the Jambalaya association and they sell it over the four days of the festival.

It's a load of fun with bands playing usually lunch to midnight each day.

The mini pots usually have 50 or so participants and they all cook at one time.......They have divisions by age starting with I believe eight year olds.

Thanks for the compliments.......I enjoy bragging on the family.
Attachments
270209_10150648740850034_599800033_19093586_4347041_n.jpg

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Is that your "youngest" best friend bird trained yet?

Sure would like to squeeze some time in this year to taste Ganzale's best Jambalaya. My wife and I are applying for "work Kamper" positions to end the season south in warm territory :D

The "big pots" did you say they were 30 gal.?

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 pm

We would enjoy hosting you guys!

For competition the guys can cook in any size pot, as long as the can hold 10 pounds of rice, twenty pounds of hen.

A thirty gallon pot is often used for fund raisers, where folks donate all the ingredients and time to cook and sell the plates.
That will feed about 250 with salad and bread!

Jambalaya cooking is an art around here.

Pup is now nine months and about 60 pounds.
Clayton and I killed 156 ducks this season and Quaid the pup retrieved 113 of them.
He has some polishing to go over the summer, but he is going to be a fine addition to our hunting.
He is a Wachtelhund out of "Last Chance Wachtelhunds" in Montana

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

I had to do some reading on Wachtelhunds. Wow, all around hunters they are.

How many do you have? The light/dark mix colorations are nice compared to solid dark brown. You made the right choice :D

156 ducks makes for a lot of dinners. :o How many hunters are the birds divided into? What's your favorite way to prepare them?

My grandmother used to make duck blood soup. Seems the duck/goose blood is the only one that does not coagulate and will lend itself to making soup.(not chunky)

I had the opportunity to be a late night pot stirrer at the Utica IL Burgoo Festival. Must have been at least a 30 gallpn pot, maybe bigger. Made my arms sore the next day. :roll:

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:10 pm

I only have the one Wachtel........he is my first and expect to have more at some point.
the birds where my son and my's haul............altogether...........seven hunters killed 448 birds over the sixty day season.
we prepare most by wrapping the breast in bacon with a jalapeno and cream cheese, this works on doves and venison bits as well. then we grill them.
simple and scruptious.

thirty gallon pot can wear on a man for sure!! Jambalaya particularly take almost constant stirring while the meat and onions are in.
we actually have to cook these on a trailer with a gas if by yourself. you can't move the thing by yourself.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

simplepeddler wrote:
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
He is just making 15 and has sold around thirty of these things at 25 bucks a piece.
We cook on open fire down here for the Jambalaya Champ of the World........google Gonzales Louisiana
The kids cook on open fire with a one quart pot for the "MINI POT" Champ of the world.

I've been inspired by simplepeddler and son :D

I'm going to make me a stove out of a #10 can during this month of March. I need some stove time, need to play :D

I think all the wood burning folks here on bplite and those of you that may be watching, should try their hand at making one also.

We could have a little reward for the 3 best designs that are submitted.

I'll furnish the little somethings reward.. A little kit that could be used on the stove you build. :D

One flat bottom full size foster can.
One silicone pot grabber
One Foster generic 1cup can for holding your BBQ sauce

Anyone interested? If there are at least 3 let me know in this thread by posting your comment saying "Im In For The Fun Of It."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:51 pm

What are the requirements..just a size 10 can..?
What are you judging on?

Write up some requirements..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:52 pm

I can't see the photos.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

simplepeddler's photos are on page 1.

The basic design is to use a number 10 size can. Create a "Volcano" style stove.

We all have seen what they look like in this and other threads.

Just be creative and give it your best shot.

If there is enough interest I'll start a thread just for the Volcano stove.

These photos will give you an idea of the basic stove:
Attachments
rocket_stove_action_shot.jpg
rocketstove_profile.jpg

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”