Firemug Loading/Burning videos

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
cadyak

Firemug Loading/Burning videos

Postby cadyak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 pm

There has been a lot of talk lately about defining some kind of standardized testing for woodstoves. I like the idea but all that math makes my brain hurt.
With work, kids soccer/swimming, homework, cooking supper, and bedtime stories I never seem to have the time to get more accurate with testing and BTU's et al.
All woodstoves have something great in common. They are fun to work with and watch and are somewhat primeval .They are your own little mini-campfire that you can let burn hot and fast, or slow and easy depending on the amount of fuel you use. Maybe people can just post links to videos of their stoves for Fire junkies. Warning: I know I need to add some tunes or something to liven up the videos, but I actually enjoy the bird sounds in the background. :)
it is easy to get all hung up on boil times but to me the longer the fire burns the better. :geek:
Here Ill go first.

2 cups of 72 degree well water.

boil time: not real sure... pretty short

pot: for the videos to boil 2 cups-modified grease pot
I normally use a Trapper Mug or MLD 475 w/ 1-1/2cups water for my meals.

wt. 2.9oz with 3 ti-wire stakes

I have a clip-on ti-windscreen that weighs 1.5 oz.

fuel: 1 small white oak limb about as thick as my pointer finger
That is about as thick as I want to break up hardwood with my hands (If I have a choice of wood)

zelph

Re: Firemug Loading/Burning videos

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:07 am

Why do I like watching a wood stove boil water????? :lol:

Video turned out well. Stove loads easy, tinder and sparks worked nicely and the flames danced so nice they hypnotized for a few min. :D

First thing that caught my eye was the flowers in the background...........wow!!!!! spring is in full swing at your place :DB: We had some snow here in Northern IL this evening, light flurries and it's cold :(

I've done some tests on two wood burners last summer. The original Woodgaz and the bushbuddy. My interests were to see how much difference there was between a single wall stove and a double wall. Most of you know I don't beleive a double wall stove is more efficient than a single wall. My controlled tests proved that.

I'll be doing controlled tests on three stoves side by side as soon as I receive the bushcookerLT2. The other 2 stoves will be the Bushbudy Ultra and the Folding Woodgaz stove. The Bushcooker LT 2 is coming in as a "loaner" from a good sport over at Hammockforums. It will be returned once the tests are complete.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:06 am

Add music if you want but I prefer it the way it is.

Nice, very nice, stove.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 am

I wish you would bring that pretty wood stove and your complete kitchen for backpacking over to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4910

cadyak, I normally use a Trapper Mug or MLD 475 w/ 1-1/2cups water for my meals.

I think the "test" should use the the small diameter cooking pot, if the stove is designed specifically for it.

It seems to me, this stove can be used for the narrow cooking pot (do the flames wrap around the smaller diameter Trapper Mug or MLD 475 and extend up the sides past the top ? ) or for the wide base .9 L - 4 cups "Grease" pot, either one.

However, you don't use the super-wide base 1.5 L or "family-size" cooking pots, do you ?

I raise these questions because zelph has been making more stove height for air-flow thru the wood fire, for the wider base cooking pot like the popular lightweight "Grease" pot.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I overcompensated for a larger pot by putting a little too much wood in for the videos.
This one It is not really designed for any particular sized pot at all but just happens to nest tightly inside this sized cup/pot. I have been doing some really lightweight (for me) solo trips and have pared my kit to fit my smaller food portions and smaller pack.

For the 475ml pots I fill a stove only half to 2/3 full for a smaller flame so that it doesnt engulf the pot.
If I want to carry a bigger pot, I might carry the stove in its original insulated mug config. It still functions as a double wall coffee mug for its day job.
This sized stove 16 floz easily boils a liter and I believe would boil 2 liters on one good (a lot of thick fuel) load. I will try this today.
This is a very heavy duty stove and will hold a lot of weight and works great with the 1.5 to 2 liter pots. The steel is a full grade thicker than the really light ones.
Last edited by cadyak on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:19 pm

I would like to see that.

I would also like to see the coffeemug configuration, as well, as your complete kitchen for backpacking.

I happen to think it is very instructive to see how it all goes together.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I forgot to mention that I dont think that it would be possible to boil such large quantities in one load without lighting from the top.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:30 pm

:D zelph will be happy if you try TLUD.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I think have posted a picture of this one all put together before..

It weighs around under 5 oz like this, but the handle can be removed to remove about 1/2 oz.

None of the other components are carried inside it when its a coffee cup. :lol:
but are carried in my titan or other pot.

This is also one of the best quality inner plastic cups of all of the different types I have. Thicker, with a very durable and simple sliding top closure. It still insulates surprisingly well in the "double wall" ssetup.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Here is my attempt at the Cadyak FireMug ;) I decided to make a firebasket with stainless hardware cloth so to make it easier to load and use the TLUD method of burning. I put a bottom grate on the basket to allow for better updraft and less impact on the ground. I'm looking forward to the testing to be done soon. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”