Easy "stovepipe" tent stove idea...!

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
realityguy

Re: Easy "stovepipe" tent stove idea...!

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 am

This is something anyone could build.
That was the idea..plus lots of options for size using 6" or 8" and any length you want up to 24" or so(or 5')..or the Ts..Simple to build,easy to replace,and pretty much a decent stove for under $40-50..
A burn may take a while..supposed to rain heavy for the next three days... :roll:
I expect the stove to turn slightly gray/black but have the rest of the Stove Bright can..Once the original paint is burnt to it's max,I'll recoat it with the stove bright which keeps its color longer.The brass will probably rainbow out with heat and scratch up easy..oh well.. :roll:

materials: 2 caps=$15
stovepipe about $10
cookshelf..cost me $5..in steel at lowes,probably about $8-10..handle could be steel and in there..
Downspout chimney and adapter..same pipe($16)..for a "cap" I'm using an aluminum cup upside down(eventually)
4 bolts,nuts washers,some screws,etc...?probably $5
Can of Stove Bright(only kind of paint for stoves I recommend,been using that for 20 years)about $7..in a lot of super-high-heat colors..(I bought flat black because my home stove could use another coat after about 6-7 years so I can use the rest there...)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:58 am

Are the caps called "clean out" caps? I think what I played with at lowes were end plugs. They were crimped and fit very tight when almost completely in.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:19 pm

Found the receipt..They called them a {6" Black End Cap}..#37654 ..cost was $7.93 The 8" were cheaper by about 50 cents if I recall..If I made another,it would be 8x24..and probably use the T,for an additional $20 in total cost(larger T was $20 and a third cap... :roll: .The caps are smooth and go over any crimping,makes a nicer looking stove with an entire smooth finish.Here's a picture of one.They do have an extended edge that helps protect the edges from damage..

The sides are the same size as the stovepipe itself,won't go over or under without crimping something somewhere.I imagine you could crimp it to fit inside so you probably do have "inner" and "outer" options..depending on what you need.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:38 am

For anyone interested in building a tent stove..here's some simple pretty inexpensive ideas...moving this back up near the top because someone brought the subject up again..
The chimney I used..is 2" galvanized downspout..it seems adequate as far as venting.The weight isn't too great as to pull the stove over backwards while it's burning..one thing I'd worry about with a 4" stack. :roll:
I plan on using a silicone angel food cake pan(flat surfaces on this one) with the outsides cut off as a vent for the tent..flexible, and will be sewn in place.This will roll up with the tent,once the pipe is pulled out.That fits the downspout material well(watertight there) through the center hole and should be watertight sewn into the tent(with silicone seal)side through about a 5" hole with the top half of the silicone flat surface sewn under the upper portion of the tent material(canvas) and under the silicone material on the lower half.
The tent I plan to use is a canvas Boy Scout Miner's Tent,approximately 7x7 with no floor and use a ground cloth for the half not under the stove's portion..1/2 or 3/4s of it. Image .wit the chimney locked to the center pole with a couple specialhomemade brackets that lock around the pole and the chimney..bolt and wingnut between them to suck two halves together..O-+-O.The chimney will rise vertically alongside the center post,and a 45 degree downspout adapter takes it out through the silicone chimney adapter beyond the tent a short distance with a homemade directional cap out of a short piece of pipe to keep water out of the stove..all supported/secured also by the center pole.
The stove,chimney,and braces will weigh right around 6lbs.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes, that's going to work out nice. Your little wood burners will be just right for the size tent. Maybe, I'll set up a tarp tomorrow and get my stove located close to it :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm probably going to be leaving town on wednesday and heading for the coast through New Years day.I need to restock our firewood supply here before we run out and have a cord or two of dry wood at the other house.Besides..I hope for a nice hike on New years to/on Shi-shi Beach for at least the "day".. :roll: (crossing fingers for decent weather..hmm..no "finger crossing" smiley.. :evil: ..Oh Boss... :?: )

Any tent-stove testing will have to be possibly next year..(or month) ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 pm

As long as you get some quality fire :DBfire: time in to ease the stress of everyday life. :D

You can never have too much fire wood stacked, keep stackin till your arms fall off :mrgreen: Or your back gives out :o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm limited to what a "safe load" might be in the van for 100 miles..If I don't pack it all,I can schedule another trip up there... ;) I'll probably split what's left into two equal loads..(equals two trips to the beaches.. :mrgreen: )
I should have enough to get through this year if I bring home all the cut/stacked wood from up there...and I do have a couple big trees I need to fall in the spring for next winter's burning...A couple trees a year :roll: equals ..wood until 2050! :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Isn't there any wood washed up on the shoreline/beaches that can be cut up?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Isn't there any wood washed up on the shoreline/beaches that can be cut up?
Let's see..the fine for cutting up firewood out of a national park is... :roll: ..and I don't think I'd wanna carry it for 4 miles minimum or so...There is only 1 drive-up access point but that's well patrolled and you'd still end up hiking a couple miles in gravel and sand..No thanks.
The entire area is logging so there are slash burn piles..which were probably stacked 20-30' high with a D8 cat or larger..I need to take down a couple trees or the wind that whips up lake crescent will probably do it for me like it has in the past for three trees.Fortunately one fell across my driveway and on the woodpile.A second missed my cottage by 3 feet..and the third one is in the pictures below which missed my lawn mower shed by a good 10 feet!(luckily).I have a row of similar coastal firs across the front of the property that were probably planted 75 years ago along the old railroad line that carried spruce for building the war birds back in the first World War.

I might as well clear dead or falling trees on the property.I do have a larger one the septic people killed when they dug the trenches and cut the roots off of half of it.That one (that could fall(and puncture/collapse the tunnels) across my raised-mound drainfield and close enough to hit the cottage on the other side..in the direction the storm winds blow.. :o )and a good sized alder next to it leaning towards the lawnmower shed..do need to come down.
I'm going to hang a sign out front along the highway for a local "climbing" logger passing by on his way home from work to make a quick $75-100.I don't climb and have some issues with things nearby(lawnmower shed,2-8" waterlines down that grass strip,highway,etc)that if I do it..might not have a happy ending... :lol:
Years ago..I did cut down the big spruce next to the dead one..but I'm older and wiser(I think) now...and there is more in the way.I found that tree cutters seem more than happy to limb them/saw them into rounds while they are there,even if you didn't ask for that.
One way or another they are coming down this coming year if they don't come down in the current windstorms.The storm that blew the two biggest trees over did snap off some cedars about 10" in diameter..30 feet above the ground ..on the neighbor's property.We can get some fierce winds coming up that ten mile lake and through the low pass to our place right above the lake.The neighbor had one come over also that was at the same time,same size.It's funny..2 miles east or west..they'll say.."What wind?" :roll: :lol: