Waterproof Tinder Idea

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.

Waterproof Tinder Idea

Postby sudden » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Why don't we carry some of this in our emergency fire starting kits :)
I used to play with model rockets and we were always looking for good ways to light the motors.
I was looking at it again from a stovie point of view and found this interesting video.

More for the fireworks and cannon crowd but I'll bet it would be nice to have in a kit.
My other thought was to add some nichrome wire to a "survival" kit.
Use it for a snare or with a battery or hand cranked light to light a fire :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."
sudden

Re: Waterproof Tinder Idea

Postby ConnieD » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

It appears to give off a lot of heat. It is necessary to get flammable materials hot.

He points out it burns inside, leaving a hollow tube.

I don't know. Maybe?

Is it expensive?
ConnieD

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 am

The fuse would have to be lit with a match or the end of it with a spark maybe........maybe :D

The nichrome wire idea is good. An old camera flashbulb would be nice. Break a few bulbs, gather the wire into a ball. Ignite with 9v battery terminals.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = www.zelphs-stoveworks.com
zelph

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 am

I know Pacific NorthWest backpackers who used a 9v battery and steel wool, touching the battery terminals to the highly flammable steel wool. I know people who carried a 9v battery as their fire starter backup.

Now that there is a led that snaps on a 9v battery http://www.9voltlight.com/ I would call that a handy solution for lighting and for fire.
ConnieD

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:13 pm

ConnieD wrote:Now that there is a led that snaps on a 9v battery http://www.9voltlight.com/ I would call that a handy solution for lighting and for fire.

I like that little light, got my DIY but never can have too many light sources. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = www.zelphs-stoveworks.com
zelph

Postby sudden » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm

I have the harbor freight mini dynamo led. ~$2 at harbor freight. It works.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."
sudden

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 pm

An old camera flashbulb would be nice. Break a few bulbs, gather the wire into a ball. Ignite with 9v battery terminals.

I saw a package of those larger bulbs today..you can be temporarily blinded at the same time they go off.Aren't they awful bright..for a short period of time?I've seen them explode also..behind the glass,especially the larger press 25s... :roll:

That new utility light that harbor freight has for $4..has 24 leds and a couple on the end if you only need a flashlight..and a hook for hanging..takes AA batteries.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy
realityguy

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I "googled" harbor freight mini dynamo led
and I got http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-mini-dynamo :!:

This reminds me of the Solar-Powered Anti-Mosquito Guard.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldmaster-Anti-M ... B000TFNSGO

It actually works.

True story:

I had a keychain Solar-Powered Anti-Mosquito Guard device that emitted the sound of a dragonfly with me at a retreat on the ridge above Carnelian Bay at North Lake Tahoe. People would stand near me, having observed mosquitoes would not come nearer than 12-15 feet from me.

Dragonfly's eat mosquitos.

The best part of the story: the retreat had a famous swami, well-educated people from around the world, and me. I first noticed people in two's and three's would comment, "Who is she?" Like that. I also noticed quite a few people would crowd in close - people would stand near me. The mosquitos were in the zillions everywhere, except in a "bubble" 12-15 feet from me. "Is it her aura?"

Finally, one lady asked. "Have you noticed mosquitos don't bite you?" I said, I understand my body has alkalyn balance, a reference to Ayurveda. They don't seem to bite me. But it is, taking the zipper-pull attached Solar-Powered Anti-Mosquite Guard in my hand, probably this Solar-Powered Anti-Mosquito Guard. It emits the sound of a dragonfly, and, dragonflys eat mosquitos.

I don't think she believed me! Probably thought I was playing a joke!

After all, it was probably my aura.
Last edited by ConnieD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieD

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Here's the light I was talking about ,Connie..-->
http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-por ... 67227.html
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy
realityguy

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:17 pm

That one looks like it would light up the entire campground.
ConnieD

Next

Return to Survival and Bushcrafts