35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
Ridgerunner

Re: 35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Cuz, here is your camo teepee.
http://www.wyominglostandfound.com/siltipi.html

the home page has a lot of pop-ups but just go to the header to navigate where you want and slide by pop ups ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 15, 2010 2:51 pm

For reference--->

Peak is about 7' high..side to side is about 90"(I'd make it that).. tent fly weighs 2lbs uncut..cutting would reduce some weight but adding the floor would increase the weight aproximately 10 oz. so I figure 2lbs 12oz to 3lbs for a roomy 2-3 person tent..and the weight of about an 8" aluminum sleeve for the tie of the trek poles together by their points.
The price was $8..and included a full set of poles(3-1/2lbs!) which I could use to set it up as a dome with adding some small nylon strapping pole pockets at the bottom edge points inside.Also I got 12 lightweight stakes and 4 lines with tensioners and stuff sacks for the poles,stakes,and tent fly.
The tent does already have nylon stake points on the lower edge,plus inner ties for the doors and others for the poles about 1/2 way up the seams.
The easiest thing to do would be to take an hour and sew on some nylon strapping pole sockets to the bottom points inside,use the existing poles over dirt,free tarp floor..and pack 6-7lbs... :o ..no thanks...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 16, 2010 1:55 am

I don't allow pop-ups. I went to his Photobucket gallery instead.

He has a 3-man silnylon tipi in white, with a stove jack, I like. These are called "hunter's tents" in Montana.

The lack of "floor" and stove jack are for cold winters.

The wyoming guy told me, in a PM, he uses an additional coating on the silnylon, no doubt, making it stronger and more stable.

I saw his posts over at WhiteBlaze.net and sent PM's.

1 lb.

I know I want one, but it will have to wait. It is not cheap. However, it is not expensive as the Kifaru tipis.

Kifaru tipis are also set up for use with a stove for heat.

The wyoming tipi has two doors, with double zippers, so the top can be ventilated. It is an excellent design.

The bottom of the tipi, in winter, has snow up against the bottom. Here is a picture of the one I like.
I want to use it with the TiGoat 2010 Vortex Cylinder Stove, a titanium stove.
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Here is camo, but I like the white one for snow.
The polyester 3-man is very reasonably priced, and resists mildew. He said he sells a lot of the polyester tipis.

If you made a circular tipi, you take a rectangular tarp with the length twice the width and draw a semi-circle.
More poles, more circular.

The wyoming tipis have a loop to hang it at the top on a rope or use one center pole.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 16, 2010 6:31 am

Looks more like a picture of a dog than a white teepee.....did not load right?

Here is a pic of my winter tent , just a little on the heavy side for backpacking! :lol: Stovepipe is on the other side.

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 16, 2010 11:15 am

Stovepipe is on the other side wing.

You oughta see his backpack for the thing!.. :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Do you pack that with a truck, or an ATV?

...day hikes in Olympic National Park... :roll:

I've been in Olympic National Park. That big a tent would grow moss if you left it up ...or packed.

I keep my tents out hanging open, in OREGON. I use oversize net bags, in Montana.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Well..actually he's in Ohio,Connie..we don't let him bring his second home out here... :lol: ..We'd have to fire up a new "mobile" zip code for the thing... :mrgreen:

:lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 16, 2010 6:41 pm

We'd have to fire up a new "mobile" zip code for the thing...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one, Cuz!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 pm

The polyester 3-man is very reasonably priced, and resists mildew. He said he sells a lot of the polyester tipis.

I like the polyester one
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Did you see that TiGoat 2010 Vortex Cylinder Stove titanium wood stove? Link in my post above.

It's pricey, and he is always "sold out".

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”