Home "Brew" Percalator

MMACH 5

Home "Brew" Percalator

Post by MMACH 5 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all. Love the forum.

I had a ball thinking through and building this thing, but I will not likely pack it onto my bike for a camping trip.

It is made from the bottoms of three 24oz Fosters cans and an aluminum tube from a wind chime.
It fits down into my Imusa aluminum mug.
I double filled my penny stove for a 4:45 boil and 4:00 of percolation. There was about another minute's worth of fuel left at the end, which I should have just let it percolate, since the coffee was slightly weaker than I prefer.
Most of the holes are made with a hammer and a sharpened finishing nail (my 1/32 drill bit broke, early in the process).
It's a little off-kilter which would be corrected with a drill-press to center up all three holes (or just a little more care on my part to make sure they were lined up).

I'm calling it a success, since it made a decent cup of coffee. My kids find my failures more entertaining than my successes, so they were a bit disappointed.
Attachments
Awaiting its first test run.
Awaiting its first test run.
"Fill me, already!"
"Fill me, already!"
Grounds for a 16oz mug o' coffee.
Grounds for a 16oz mug o' coffee.
Ready to go.
Ready to go.
A quick glance at the underside.
A quick glance at the underside.
You can't tell, but it IS percolating, here. :)
You can't tell, but it IS percolating, here. :)
The product.
The product.
Fill 'er up!
Fill 'er up!

sudden

Re: Home "Brew" Percalator

Post by sudden » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

That's a really nice idea.

I was looking at the little espresso pots from GSI the other day. Your idea doesn't require a seal which is the complaint I see the most on the GSI method. Plus you get to decide the strength.

How many cups can you make at a time with it??
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

MMACH 5

Post by MMACH 5 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks.
I used two tablespoons of ground coffee to make a 16oz mug of coffee.
Initially, I made the basket a little taller, but then the basket cover obscured the holes in the stand tube. The percolator is narrower than my mug and can move around a bit. I wasn't sure if it would try and float up and hit the inside of the lid. So, I drilled four holes in the stand tube, a few centimeters below the top. Then if it got up against the lid, the water could still percolate.

The mug and lid dictated the height of the tube and the two-cups-of-water level dictated how high the basket sat on the tube (at least it's minimum distance).

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm calling it a success, since it made a decent cup of coffee. My kids find my failures more entertaining than my successes, so they were a bit disappointed.
I call it a success also :D Your kids will just have to wait for another day :lol:

Necessity is the Mother Of Invention ;) gotta have that cuppa joe :D

A flat top will give better distribution of water over the entire surface of grounds, plus get it to be level.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Good idea..Zelph does have a point,but a little bending to flatten the drip area on top is easy enough to solve that..maybe even crowned a little in the center pushes the water evenly around the outer edges,dripping into all the grounds area.Different size perculator tops for the different size pots solves the 'float' problem..make one for each pot and you get to drink more beer! :cheers:
For those really wide pots,you'll have to invest in some minikegs. :mrgreen: ...nothing wrong with that!
"Honey ..at the store.. could you grab me a Sapporo minikeg"?Honest..it's for a post for coffee-making for bplite!" :o

Yeah..my wife would really buy into that idea... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

MMACH 5

Post by MMACH 5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 pm

One thing I did do to even out the water on top, a bit was to make the holes farther from the center slightly larger. I might take the top piece and just flatten the dip to see how that goes.

Thanks for the tips.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

I might take the top piece and just flatten the dip to see how that goes.
I think you'll like the results. Stronger coffee, more pick-me-up per tablespoon :D Too much boil is said to make coffee bitter :?: can't prove it by me :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/