cone Calculator

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

cone Calculator

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:14 pm

This cone calculator might be of help to some that are tinkering with making a cone shaped windscreen/potholder.

By plugging in dimensions to suite your pot and burner height you can get an idea of how large a piece of material would be needed to make your choice of cone. And also the radius to swing the arc. A set of trammel points would be used to swing large arcs or even a string with nail attached at one end and a pencil at the other.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/mod ... artio.html


Trammel Points for wood working: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/inde ... d=ST-TP.XX
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: cone Calculator

Post by oops56 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:53 pm

zelph wrote:This cone calculator might be of help to some that are tinkering with making a cone shaped windscreen/potholder.

By plugging in dimensions to suite your pot and burner height you can get an idea of how large a piece of material would be needed to make your choice of cone. And also the radius to swing the arc. A set of trammel points would be used to swing large arcs or even a string with nail attached at one end and a pencil at the other.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/mod ... artio.html


Trammel Points for wood working: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/inde ... d=ST-TP.XX
Dam the light just came on make a cone to fit your pot and use sterno heat i beat it be better with sterno now where is my string forget it use 55 gallon drum for circle
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
CajunHiker
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: cone Calculator

Post by CajunHiker » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 pm

http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm
Scroll down about halfway down the page.

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: cone Calculator

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 am

CajunHiker wrote:http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm
Scroll down about halfway down the page.
Thanks for tip CajunHiker, the calculator worked great. I pulled a little of the information down to show it up close here. An explanation is given in the 1st photo. I like the last line where a FIDDLE Factor is given :D

ImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: cone Calculator

Post by oops56 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 pm

zelph wrote:
CajunHiker wrote:http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm
Scroll down about halfway down the page.
Thanks for tip CajunHiker, the calculator worked great. I pulled a little of the information down to show it up close here. An explanation is given in the 1st photo. I like the last line where a FIDDLE Factor is given :D

ImageImageImage
Its all greek to me
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: cone Calculator

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:
CajunHiker wrote:http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm
Scroll down about halfway down the page.
]
Its all greek to me
You said you were going to use a garbage can to make a cone, how did it turn out? :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: cone Calculator

Post by DarenN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:43 am

hi all;
cone layout is something i've done a lot of in my trade. (sheet metal worker). if anyone is interested in a simplified method, i'll put together a little pictorial instruction. post a reply here and i'll get to work on it.
DarenN......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: cone Calculator

Post by oops56 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:01 am

DarenN wrote:hi all;
cone layout is something i've done a lot of in my trade. (sheet metal worker). if anyone is interested in a simplified method, i'll put together a little pictorial instruction. post a reply here and i'll get to work on it.
DarenN......
I did it but not to good like to know how you do it thanks
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: cone Calculator

Post by DarenN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:23 am

i'll get to work on it!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re:a crash course in pattern development

Post by DarenN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:21 pm

here we go!
first we settle on the dimensions.
Image
this one is based on a trangia burner and a heiny pot. 7" tall. pot under the top rib, 3 3/8". 2" taper in the cone, 5 3/8".

the vertical height is measured on a baseline, and the RADII (radiuses) measured out square from the baseline.
Image

with a straightedge connect the radii and continue on across the baseline. we call this point the "APEX".
Image

useing the apex point and the short radius scribe an arc.
Image

same for the long radius.
Image

diameter times PI=circumference. for the short radius (top) this comes to 10 9/16". set dividers to 1" and, starting at the baseline, step off ten inches along the arc, then add 9/16".
Image

the long radius gives a circunference of 16 7/8". step off 16" along the arc and add 7/8".
Image

use the straightedge to connect these two points. note that this line connects to the apex point.
Image

arrows indicate the corners of our pattern. add tabs or what ever you want to use to hold it together.
Image

useing this method i can make a ductwork pipe reducer in about 15 minutes. sadly, pattern development is becoming a thing of the past. with the introduction of CNC shape-cutters any monkey with a tinners hammer can make complicated fittings that used to take hours of benchwork to lay out. i'm glad i learned this stuff 25-30 years ago. they don't even teach some of it in the trade schools now'days. shame.

i hope this is somewhat helpful to someone. i enjoyed doing it.

DarenN..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Post Reply