Favorite Failure

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
heckdog

Favorite Failure

Post by heckdog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 am

Alright enough success. Let's hear some of your finest "Edison Failed 1000 times before perfecting the lightbulb" favorite failure.

#1 most recent for me....Duct Tape windscreen = black glue flames, toxic gas, I destroyed the finish on my pot scrubbing nasty scorch marks,.

zelph

Re: Favorite Failure

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:06 pm

DIY Trangia made from a Magic Heat can. The fiberglass wick did not seal the opening well enough. The container was almost empty so it had lots of vapor in it. The hole beside the wick was big enough to allow my match to ignite the vapors and it blew up. Meaning the 1 inch wad of burning fiberglass wick pieces was blown up and out of the can. the 2 inch long pieces going in different directions. One piece landed on the stove and one on the sink, those two I did'nt have to worry about. The 6 inch circle of fire on my stomach was easy to put out with on swat of my hand. The piece of burning wick on the floor was my next concern. I proceeded to stomp it out. When my foot hit the floor my wife opened the kitchen door and said What Are You Doing. I did'nt answer and proceeded to put out the piece on the stove and the one on the sink. I was banned from further kitchen stove testing, Bah Humbug!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 pm

When my foot hit the floor my wife opened the kitchen door and said What Are You Doing. I did'nt answer and proceeded to put out the piece on the stove and the one on the sink. I was banned from further kitchen stove testing, Bah Humbug!!!!!!
Good one Zelph ! My latest one was when i decided to make a penny stove with the 24 oz. Camoflauge Busch beer cans. The stove turned out real nice but for some reason, priming the top did not work so I hit it with the bernz-o-matic soldering torch to heat it up. First time I ever had a stove actually "explode" . It went flying across the garage along with some burning alcohol. It ripped a 3/4 inch hole in the top but there was no fire damage and the wife did not know about it. Therefore, I was not banned from the garage. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:17 pm

Good one Ridgerunner :D

Just a reminder!!!! What is said in this thread stays in this thread :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:05 pm

AMEN, Brother Zelph !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:57 am

Ridgerunner wrote:AMEN, Brother Zelph !
How did your stove work with the 3/4" blown hole. The one turned into low pressure open burner :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:22 pm

One of my first pressurized stoves was filled too much and was confined in a #10 size can that had air vent holes. My wife and I were at at rest stop off a major highway coming out of wisconsin returning from a camping trip. The picnic tables there were made of recycled plastic. The can and stove were on the table, I lit the stove. I had to go back to the car for something, I'm looking in the trunk and I hear my wife drom a distance calling my name. I turned to see the can containing the stove is aflame :) On the plastic table.

Between me and the table is a split cedar pole fence that I tried to manuver gracefully over to no avail. Call me clumsy. I'm half way there and I see my wife shove the fireball off the table into the grass. It quickly went out. We settled to having vending machine candy bars :mrgreen:

The table now has this 1/4 inch deep, 6" dia. ring branded into it.

I have not made another pressurized burner since that time :o overfilling can easily happen. Alcohol expands alot when heated and will rise up and out of the stoves jets on fire, whoohooo baby!!!!

Here is a photo of the type of burner that I was using. The center portion holds a wicking material that is lit and acts as a primer to get the jets going. It also is heating water as it's priming. The potstand next to it is one of the best I've worked with. It serves dual purpose as windscreen

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Here are some photos of the burner that blew flying torches helter skelter. You can see the irregular hole pattern that was made in the middle as my wick containing hole. It's what happens when get in hurry to test an idea. :roll:

lite hiker

Post by lite hiker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:19 pm

My worst ever had to be a preasurised stove that had a center wall. i accidentilly put the holes to high and the gas just built up when i pulled my pot off it lit the expanding gass and the entire thing explodedm in my garage. Needles to say i wasn't making stoves for a week or so.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm

lite hiker wrote:My worst ever had to be a preasurised stove that had a center wall. i accidentilly put the holes to high and the gas just built up when i pulled my pot off it lit the expanding gass and the entire thing explodedm in my garage. Needles to say i wasn't making stoves for a week or so.
Whoa, adrenalin rush there :o I hate surprises :o

last month I had an accident with a stove in my garage. It was an experimental open type no fuel absorbing material :roll: I had it sitting on my drill press to have it at eye level to take some photos. Something happen quickly :o it got knocked off the drill press and onto the table, flames start my stuff on fire, swooooossssshhhhhhhh, went the fire extinguisher, knocked it down quickly, adrenalin pumpin to the max :mrgreen: Only a few things got melted. Extinguisher powder everywhere :(