Favorite Failure

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
seudo_411

Re: Favorite Failure

Post by seudo_411 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Not something i'm proud of but hey I say, "WE BURN-WE LEARN".... I made a open top single jet unregulated butane burner, the parts were a film canister a empty pen tube(the one that holds the ink) and a metal bottle cap... the results, it worked, actually not i just sprayed liquid butane into the film canister and lit the gas coming out the bottle cap via the pen tube, it burnt well stable actually with a two inch flame, no sputtering... so then i placed my hand on the film cannister and hey the flame grew so i did it again and soon the gas was finnished so i popped the top off the film canister sprayed about a 1/4 inch of butane in there and tried to relight it, it burn quite weakly first then suddenly the top shot off my hand went cold then hot, the plastic tube melted shut and the pressure accumulated inside the cannister. the liquid butane hit the carpet and caught alight, so now i have a big black spot of melted plastic.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:37 pm

seudo_411 wrote:Not something i'm proud of but hey I say, "WE BURN-WE LEARN".... I made a open top single jet unregulated butane burner, the parts were a film canister a empty pen tube(the one that holds the ink) and a metal bottle cap... the results, it worked, actually not i just sprayed liquid butane into the film canister and lit the gas coming out the bottle cap via the pen tube, it burnt well stable actually with a two inch flame, no sputtering... so then i placed my hand on the film cannister and hey the flame grew so i did it again and soon the gas was finnished so i popped the top off the film canister sprayed about a 1/4 inch of butane in there and tried to relight it, it burn quite weakly first then suddenly the top shot off my hand went cold then hot, the plastic tube melted shut and the pressure accumulated inside the cannister. the liquid butane hit the carpet and caught alight, so now i have a big black spot of melted plastic.
:lol: :lol: :lol: As i say man play with fire man get brunt
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:14 pm

Is there any wonder why MOM has strict rules!!!! What did she say about the melted ring of plastic? (did you cover it up with a chair :mrgreen: )

So it would have worked perfecto it you had used a metal tube???
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 am

zelph wrote:Is there any wonder why MOM has strict rules!!!! What did she say about the melted ring of plastic? (did you cover it up with a chair :mrgreen: )

Yeah I was young and silly, but hey the Hindenburg was also a great idea till it went up in flames, all my lighters were confiscated. and i was given garden duty for a month. I bought a new bed on Friday it is a double bed so the RING OF FIRE is well hidden... Once the maid is done I'll take a picture...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 am

seudo_411 wrote:
zelph wrote:Is there any wonder why MOM has strict rules!!!! What did she say about the melted ring of plastic? (did you cover it up with a chair :mrgreen: )

Yeah I was young and silly, but hey the Hindenburg was also a great idea till it went up in flames, all my lighters were confiscated. and i was given garden duty for a month. I bought a new bed on Friday it is a double bed so the RING OF FIRE is well hidden... Once the maid is done I'll take a picture...
And now you're older and still silly and playing with fire :lol: Wait till you set the library on fire and then see what MOM says :P

Stick with the StarLyte design that absorbs all the fuel to be on the safe side. :D

Take a photo of the maid also, put her on the world wide web. Give us a shot of her looking off into the sunset/sunrise :mrgreen:

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 am

I've haven't had too much go wrong... yet.

My first stove was a pressurized pepsi jet. I crumpled the walls a bit putting the two halves together so the stove had some extra jets that weren't included in the design.:lol: If it wasn't sealed up pretty good with RTV (spread all over the outside seam) I think it probably would have popped.

My best failure so far was a very (very, very) crude prototype test in my kitchen. In test one, it fell apart and I was left with a 12oz soda can bottom holding an ounce of fuel and a very large flame. Test two went much better but the flames were lapping against a can that hadn't been polished and the ink printing quickly became a stinky cloud of fumes. I had to think quick because I didn't want to risk setting off the apartment building fire alarm so I grabbed a drinking glass and set it over the stove to suffocate it. I then grabbed a box fan, opened the kitchen window and set the fan on high. It was at this point that my wife came home. I explained that I was venting fumes from a stove experiment gone bad and all she had to say was "I figured". :D Lucky me. I haven't been banned from stove testing in the kitchen... yet.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 am

dlarson, thanks for sharing those precious and exciting moments :D
venting fumes from a stove experiment gone bad and all she had to say was "I figured". Lucky me. I haven't been banned from stove testing in the kitchen... yet.
You are lucky!!!!!!!

My wife is softening, she lets me use HEET to bake muffins for her. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, it's a start to get full privelages someday :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:33 pm

My wife is softening, she lets me use HEET to bake muffins for her.
Sounds like you are grovelling at her feet. Bribing her with baked goods to get your priveleges back. :lol: Let me just say "That a boy, Zelph" . :lol: :lol: You just have to know what buttons to push. Works both ways ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 pm

zelph wrote:My wife is softening, she lets me use HEET to bake muffins for her. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Next project: A double boiler stove for chocolate? :lol:
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:35 pm

dlarson wrote:
zelph wrote:My wife is softening, she lets me use HEET to bake muffins for her. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Next project: A double boiler stove for chocolate? :lol:
If I could do one of those I'd be back full access to kitchen any time. Even test the WBS with dirty denatured :lol: or even 70 percent rubbing :lol: alcohol