Favorite Failure

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
lite hiker

Re: Favorite Failure

Post by lite hiker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:40 pm

zelph wrote:Extinguisher powder everywhere :(
you had an extinquisher lucky you. i just had a bucket of water that went on the stove and then i delt with the flaming hand
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:00 pm

I knocked a going open top alcohol stove off the test bench on top of my alcohol supplies all stored in plastic containers at the side of the bench, 2l of IPA, 2l of Methanol, 2l of Ethanol and 1l of denatured, I moved very quickly and no damage was done. I now store my fuel on the other side of my garage.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Tony wrote:I knocked a going open top alcohol stove off the test bench on top of my alcohol supplies all stored in plastic containers at the side of the bench, 2l of IPA, 2l of Methanol, 2l of Ethanol and 1l of denatured, I moved very quickly and no damage was done. I now store my fuel on the other side of my garage.

Tony
HOLEY S**T!! :o
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Tony wrote:I knocked a going open top alcohol stove off the test bench on top of my alcohol supplies all stored in plastic containers at the side of the bench, 2l of IPA, 2l of Methanol, 2l of Ethanol and 1l of denatured, I moved very quickly and no damage was done. I now store my fuel on the other side of my garage.

Tony
I would imagine you had to change your clothing after that little adrenilan rush :lol: :lol: Rushed right down your pant leg :lol: :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Here is the link to the AT thread about exploding stoves

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Tony
I must admit I would've saved the IPA first, then the stove fuel.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:15 pm

One of my first pressurized stoves was was made from energy drink cans. I got a wrinkle in the side wall I didn't notice, and the top can was inside the fuel can,instead of outside like most designs. I figured that if fuel leaked, it would not be wasted, it's just be a few more jets. When I lit it, it became an instant rocket with a loud bang. Fortunately, I was testing outside on the BBQ with a long BBQ lighter and the alcohol spray went mainly vertical. I didn't use glue or any other fasteners until then. Now I make sure any pressurized stove I build is well secured before lighting.

Recently, I made a small pressurized stove from 2 tomato juice cans. I used 4 thin tubes, about a bit smaller that a Bic pen ink tube in an attempt to direct the jets. I inverted the top so the dome was pointing out, and made the jets point towards the center. I made the jet tubes a little too long. When I lit it, is became more of a percolating fountain than a stove. It didn't really prime well, so it didn't turn into a monster. It would just gently burp flames randomly around the four tubes, but wouldn't stay lit when the prime fizzled out. I have half a mind to try and refine it to do that on purpose for fun for the 4th. :twisted:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:31 pm

became more of a percolating fountain than a stove
:lol: percollating fountain, I like that :D

Did the tubes go all the way to the bottom of the fuel resevoir? If not, try 5ml of fuel and let her rip :mrgreen: It should look pretty cool when you get it to working. The 4th is not far off, keep working at it.

Let's all work on a 4th of July stove just for the fun of it!!!!!!!! The more shooting stars that come out of it the better :lol: 8-)

One of the first mishaps with a presurized stove was burning a large ring into a plastic picnic table at a rest stop along the Wisconsin interstate. My stove was in a #10 size steel can 7 inch in dia. about. Long story :mrgreen:

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:49 am

Zelph,

The tubes weren't long enough to touch bottom. Only about 1/2 way down. I did manage to bend them about 30 degrees where they exit the stove body. I put steel wire inside so I could bend without collapsing, then pulled the wire. Then I JB-Welded them in place. The fuel still must have boiled up to the ends though. Definitely a different dynamic than just having jets in the top. I found the tubing in my local Ace Hardware.

I think I will try another build on this one; But I may not be spending a lot of time on stoves for a few weeks.I have to catch up on other things, then off on a family vacation. My Dad lives in Danville,Il out your way and I'll be traveling from Seattle for my annual visit.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:59 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Zelph,

The tubes weren't long enough to touch bottom. Only about 1/2 way down. I did manage to bend them about 30 degrees where they exit the stove body. I put steel wire inside so I could bend without collapsing, then pulled the wire. Then I JB-Welded them in place. The fuel still must have boiled up to the ends though. Definitely a different dynamic than just having jets in the top. I found the tubing in my local Ace Hardware.

I think I will try another build on this one; But I may not be spending a lot of time on stoves for a few weeks.I have to catch up on other things, then off on a family vacation. My Dad lives in Danville,Il out your way and I'll be traveling from Seattle for my annual visit.
If you still have the stove try it again with less fuel. as I was checking out the thrift stores today I was thinking about your stove and about the tubes. I thought of sticking some tubes into a round altoids and make it look like a birthday cake with candles :roll: :lol: I would make it so it's primed with a tea lite under it to heat the fuel into vapor. Just for the fun of it!!!!!!!!