"Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
stevebo

Re: "Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Post by stevebo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:31 pm

I dont own a Kelly Kettle, but it looks really great! Some where on the internet, i saw a copper version, and the the selling point was, instead of bringing a water filter, you could just use your kettle and boil your water-----thus eliminating the weight and bulk of the water filter. Never tried it , but sounded like a valid idea. -------have fun with your new kettle!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:31 pm

The copper version is Thermette kettle. http://thermette.com/ A bit pricey and heavy but a great piece of gear for base camp or kayakers. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:49 pm

I may have to build one since copper is easy to solder compared to aluminum. Conducts heat better to. But with copper prices it would cost close to what a new one would.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I would think thin copper sheeting, even though salty, should be considerably less cost than the retail version.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Here is what I came up with for heating water with my large KKettle. I think I'll be able to boil 12 cups of water with 3 ounces of denatured alcohol. That's 2 cups per 1/2 ounce of fuel. Keep in mind this is for a base camp situation. I'll have 6 cups in the Kettle, 4 cups in the pot that fits inside the kettle and 2 cups on top of the kettle using it's factory made pot support I might even get 4 cups to boil on top using a Kmart grease pot. I'll be using a new design stove called the "energizer". It has a 3 ounce fuel capacity, with a 2-3/8" diameter by 2" tall stainless steel pot support. It's a one piece stove, wicketized.

The top of the inside pot comes to within 1/4" of the interior wall of the kettle, keeping the heat close to the wall instead of going directly up and out the chimney. It's doing double duty ;)
Attachments
diy stove 004.jpg
diy stove 003.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 am

Ridgerunner wrote:I would think thin copper sheeting, even though salty, should be considerably less cost than the retail version.
I do some cold hammering on copper and you would not believe how spendy the stuff is. These prices are for .090" which is just over 1/16" thick. That is the thinnest I would use for a kettle.
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-166-8207 ... sheet.aspx

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm

It can be made much thinner if you have a sturdy storage container. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4396

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:33 am

samh wrote:There was a DIY Kelly Kettle thread on BPL and I seem to remember the person having decent luck. I haven't quite figured out the value in them other than that they are simply different. A can or tin stove and a titanium pot would almost certainly be lighter and the pot has more value than the Kettle in that in can double as your eating container.
Their value is the diverse fuels they can use and therefore not have to pack along. The concept of using the chimney effect will burn the fuels more efficiently and heat the water faster then just applying heat to the bottom of a pan. With a pan holder on the top you can utilize the fire twice by heating water and cooking. when using wood you will have left over coals in which you could also grill. In that case you will use the fire three times. It's the same jump as going from trying to heat a home with a fireplace to switching to a wood stove.

The mods on mine make it even more effective at utilizing the fuels and much more wind proof.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:59 am

My energizer stoves failed to do what I wanted it to. After five min. it overflowed and ended the test :oops:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm

The wood stopper would expand from the heat and steam and get stuck so I replaced it with a HDPE lid I turned. It's also lighter.

The handle needed more support so I attached it to the bottom roll seam with a couple stainless rivets. The roll is fat enough to get a 1/4" rivet and there is no water that low on the pot.