"Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
DarenN

"Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:50 am

the Kelly Kettle topic comes up every now and then, so i bought one. as soon as i got it home i started messing with it. "accessorizing" as it were.
packed up with a Paintpot nested in the bottom:

the kit:

ready to light:

up close with the potstand:

on fire. you can see the flames coming out of the top of the chimney.

30ml of Methyl Hydrate brought both the kettle and the pot to a boil. it's too bad it's too heavey and bulky to carry.

Daren...........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Re: "Pimp My Kelly Kettle."

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm jealous ! :P Nice detailed close-up pics...thanks! Is it made from all aluminum? Would it be feasible for the kayaker? Did you get the larger one? I think there are two sizes or maybe I'm thinking of another kettle out there. :?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:15 pm

My is the small one older type with no pot.

Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:57 pm

the one i got is the smallest. holds just over two cups. they actually come in three sizes. all aluminum. i got the idea for the potstand here:
http://www.kellykettle.com/homepage

Oops, i added the pot myself.

if i was going to carry that much weight and bulk on a kayak trip i'd just take my Trangia 27 kit. more versitile.

Daren......

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the pics Darren!
I've been toying with the idea of a homemade Kelly Kettle using aluminum cans. The only problem is that you can only boil water in a pot that doesn't have a middle. Tossing some Ramen Noodles inside would be difficult to eat and clean! But I will say that the Kelly Kettle design is superior to a regular pot when it comes to boiling water.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:32 pm

dlarson wrote:Thanks for the pics Darren!
I've been toying with the idea of a homemade Kelly Kettle using aluminum cans. The only problem is that you can only boil water in a pot that doesn't have a middle. Tossing some Ramen Noodles inside would be difficult to eat and clean! But I will say that the Kelly Kettle design is superior to a regular pot when it comes to boiling water.

but,,,,,,,,
if you are FBCooking all you need to do is boil the water and pour it into the bag.

Daren......

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:27 pm

DarenN wrote:but,,,,,,,,
if you are FBCooking all you need to do is boil the water and pour it into the bag.

I have yet to find a suitable plastic bag I like for freezer bag cooking. Actual freezer bags are prone to melting, don't stand up on their own, and aren't very rigid. The veggie steamer bags I've tried are better suited to high temps, stand up on their own, and are more rigid, but they leak from the two small holes near the seal that are there to release steam pressure. :x
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:38 pm

dlarson wrote:
DarenN wrote:but,,,,,,,,

I have yet to find a suitable plastic bag I like for freezer bag cooking. Actual freezer bags are prone to melting, don't stand up on their own, and aren't very rigid. The veggie steamer bags I've tried are better suited to high temps, stand up on their own, and are more rigid, but they leak from the two small holes near the seal that are there to release steam pressure. :x

i just use Ziploc(R) freezer bags, and a DIY denim cozy. they stand up just fine and i've never had a leak. YMMV, ;) .

Daren........

samh

Postby samh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:53 pm

There was a DIY Kelly Kettle thread on BPL and I seem to remember the person having decent luck. I haven't quite figured out the value in them other than that they are simply different. A can or tin stove and a titanium pot would almost certainly be lighter and the pot has more value than the Kettle in that in can double as your eating container.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:33 am

samh wrote:There was a DIY Kelly Kettle thread on BPL and I seem to remember the person having decent luck. I haven't quite figured out the value in them other than that they are simply different. A can or tin stove and a titanium pot would almost certainly be lighter and the pot has more value than the Kettle in that in can double as your eating container.

Samh, I suppose the one attribute the kettle has is that it will perform under about all adverse weather conditions. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Stove Making Tips”