Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Found a decent camo dome fly without a tent at a thrift store last week for $8..had some time in the evenings at the other home with nothing but hockey( :lol:..for Daren.. ) on TV so..what the heck!--->

Hexagon-shaped Tipi measures out to 8' across the points and 7' across the flats,sides are 50 " wide so it fits two people well down the middle with plenty of additional space for gear on the two side areas.The center height for a pole is 6-4" high but I can stand up in the center at 5-7.
The package with a floor made of poly coated nylon weighs 3lbs 1oz..that includes everything to pitch the thing except for my two trek poles.I use a 6" piece of copper pipe as a joint for the two poles as shown in the last photo..tip to tip and 6 stakes are all that is needed.No ropes are needed.
From the pictures shown..I added new tie-outs to the floor corners of the hex,and also velcro tie-ups 6" up inside the bottom edges of the tent to "bathtub" the removable floor(requests for a removable floor and a bathtub one :roll: ).
The joys of making one:
Find a regular sized hex dome(aproximate 7-8' across..CUT the dome back into the six triangular pieces that have curved edges top to bottom to create the dome.Take a straight edge and RECUT the curved edges off to get straight triangles.remove the bottom tie down tabs while doing so.CUT the top off one of the panels down about 18" and replace with toule vent screen with a flat felled seam across the bottom.make it oversize and use one of the other pieces to get it back to the same size triangle.RESEW the six new straight side edges with flat fell seams.Redo the removed piece of the one top side panel used for an upper vent and add three pieces(one across the bottom and two side ones) from the pieces you cut off to make it large enough to cover the new vent..add two pieces of wire in sleeves so the vent cover will stay open at the bottom after it is installed and sewn on over the vent screen.
Manufacture ...from pieces that have been cut off..a small hex crown "cap"with a nylon loop inside and outside for hanging a light in the tent or hanging the tent from overhead to eliminate a center pole.Sew that on with a three rows of stitches using the free arm of your machine(You do have one don't you?.. :o )
Sew on the 6 new tie-outs to the bottom of the six sides and sew in six more tie-ups above those for the floor... if you are using one.Add a couple new tie-offs(separate ones in and out..I used velcro) for the doors about 2' up from the bottom on the two front corners beside the doors.
And there you have it!One nice inexpensive tipi tent from an overweight old dome tent you probably were never going to use again.No sweat! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Total materials:
One dome fly............$8
1/4 yard toule............50 cents
1 serger roll of poly cord...$1(no..I didn't use the whole thing,hardly put a dent in it)
velcro ties(8)...............$1.50(I think 25 were about $5)
nylon strapping..............$.50(I had an old strap I cut off and still get to keep the plastic buckle pieces!)
equals.........................$11.50 total*

*Floor material was not included..that came out of another coated nylon tarp I paid about $4-5(?) for and made my "beach cabana" out of that also...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Re: Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Ahhh! It even has a vent.

D.I.Y./M.Y.O.G. genius!

Will there be a pattern for visual-learners? No? And you are selling these?

I am 5'6".
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Nah..I'm just cheap.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did find a nice Pfaff Hobby sewing machine(1022?) for $20 when I found the fly..and sewd it up with that.I did finish my "Beach Chalet" also while I was setup..something I started last year and needed a few more things on it..--->
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm

$20, $8, $11.50 ... Oh! man. Good cheap.

The "Beach Chalet" looks like an old Henry Shires pattern. That front makes a veranda.

"Beach Chalet" indeed! You plan having Adirondack chairs?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 pm

I guess you don't really know me..I'm a real bargain hunter.Most of my hammocks,tarps,tents,etc only cost me about $10-20 each to make...That's why I cringe when I hear $300 for a tent! :shock:
Sewing machines..got about 6-8 of the things(I sold a few or I'd have more.. :lol: )I left the Pfaff up there since I have 3-4 better ones here.Someday I'll get my walking foot Pfaffs set up somewhere where I can use them permanently..
The beach chalet weighs right in at 3lbs(with a heavy stuff sack..don't think the stakes are in there)..no pole weight at all of course because it only uses two trek ones.Both ends can be pitched out straight between two trees for more cover or cooking/sitting area..or folded down in the back and front as shown in the down position with a couple velcro straps around the pitch lines.The front does unzip and can be closed down even more than the back to cover more mesh.That one uses 6 stakes and the two trek poles stake out the middle of the floor.It has nothing to do with Henry Shire's tarp tents..was a cross between Daren's Hubba,IR wanting/liking a Rainbow, and wild hairs... :lol:
For you Connie,not wanting a floor for the Tipi,I reweighed the thing with the 6 stakes and sleeve for the trek poles and the weight is 1lb 15oz.Add a stuff sack and you'll be right at 2lbs.it's heavier weight material so that's not bad for what it's made of....Also figure a roll about 3" in diameter by15".The floor adds about 1 more inch of diameter.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 pm

You made it sound easy to do.............. ;)

Time was spent well :D lot better than watching your buddies lose ;)

Now you need to calculate an easy way to stake it out. Use a piece of jute twine and a peg to scribe a circle The twine will also have a mark on it to measure of the points where the stakes are to be driven. :geek:

not wanting a floor for the Tipi,I reweighed the thing with the 6 stakes and sleeve for the trek poles and the weight is 1lb 15oz.Add a stuff sack and you'll be right at 2lbs.it's heavier weight material so that's not bad for what it's made of....Also figure a roll about 3" in diameter by15".The floor adds about 1 more inch of diameter.

That's nice, I like it, you did alright for a north westerner :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Staking wasn't a real problem as long as the lengths are known.I can get a pretty deadset length for my trek poles(say 42" each).Place them end to end,add the difference,and set the two opposite stakes.Then I know the sides are 50" each..set the two poles coming off those two end stakes at approximately the right angles,and figure the middle the same length..I can get pretty close to dead on...set the edges,raise the center,and do a little adjust...

Watch my friends lose?..I don't watch hockey..I was just kidding Daren about Victoria's TV. :roll: .last night they had four hours of their parade. :o .mostly high school bands from here in Washington... :lol: :lol: ....Gees... :shock:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 pm

CUZ, I don't want to stoke your ego but you are incredible with the sewing machine and design work. I love the camo teepee. It would be nice to pack in close to your hunting spot, setup for the night and get up before light and not have to worry about spooking game hiking in to your spot. ;) You could even add a few windows and use your teepee as a blind! :o :D A couple zip open windows would be needed. I have a few questions. How solid are your poles when connected? Did you put reinforcing material at the peak? Do you feel it would stand strong on a windy night? AND, what about those pesky no-see-ums? Excellent work as usual, Cuz! ;) Do you still have my address? :lol: :lol:
ps. Sorry you don't enjoy one of the coolest sports around! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I didn't waste all my time sewing..went hiking for a day..here's some photos(to give Connie nightmares.. :lol: )--->
Yellow Banks cove..tide in somewhat..

The beach wasn't looking any better either direction from "lunch rock"..

They say the logs roll with the tide at night while you're camping.. :shock: ..When this one rolls at night I want to be on a high cliff top!

After 3 miles of running boardwalks(about 50 minutes)..I hit the beach...

16 miles of hiking out beyond Yellow Banks and back from Ozette..I gave up where you started having fun,Connie.. :lol: After a couple miles of rocky beaches near the end..it wasn't looking any better and I'd have to backtrack..so I bagged it and ate lunch.

8:00-2:30 out and back..Truckin'!...more pictures at the website..follow the pics thru..

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Cuz..no see-ums..thinking about adding a permanent perimeter of mesh that would be about 1' wide to the bottom edges that would go under the floor or whatever you sleep on otherwise..I'm also considering a second set of bug mesh doors inside the outer set..velcro across the front of the floor so it bathtubs the front and seals across the bottom(I didn't have another long zipper with me,had the mesh..damn!I considered it.)Maybe 2 yards..adds 2 oz of weight...

Reinforcement..The top cap is actually a flat piece folded and sewn together to form the "hex-cap" with the excess material folded inside rather than cut and sewn seams.That way it is pretty much leak proof at its seams.The Nylon loop is well sewn in place so it won't be going anywhere and the cap is sewn on with three rows of stitching.
Poles:..plenty solid with the 6" piece of copper fitting tight on the points and snug to the basket collar..it's not going to bend!I could reduce some weight by using an aluminum sleeve,just didn't have any up there(I do here).The poles are only extended less than 3' with the thinner portion almost all the way inside the larger tubing(does the last picture show that?).I used the plastic pole in the first pictures because I hadn't found the piece of copper yet.If you wanted a serious pitch in a hurricane,I'd probably use a single older extension type aluminum pole and an overhead tie-off
Strong wind..that would depend on the stakes you use..should hold up well,especially when pitched tight to the ground...and you could add some exterior lines to the top loop to control sideways movement there...it should be pretty solid..or could be pitched to be that way whgen needed with some extra lightweight stakes and lines.(towards the wind).Some midheight tie-outs could be added to the backside(windside) also with minimal weight,couple lines,stakes..still lightweight...
Hunting: Just lay out a row of popcorn going through the door to the cooler..whack them alongside the head as they come through the door... :lol:
yeah..easy enough to add shootin' peepholes..even at sleeping level!You wouldn't even need to get out of bed!All you need to do is sew in the zippers and add a flap above over the zipper..sewn on the top and velcro on the bottom edge.
I thought about the vent flap having velcro up the sides to open as a skylight(tie down to be secure in wind)..but felt it was unnecessary for my use...
Opening the doors and tying them back gives plenty of light inside plus as you can see the lighter tent color allows light inside.
One more note.I tried an overhead pitch with the line above but I found it pitched a lot more taut with the pole inside and easier to adjust it(from inside also!).I probably could offset the bottom point of the pole somewhat to allow a better double sleeping area down the center..but straight down the middle seemed to get the best taut pitch over the all the tipi sides..

Return to “Shelter Skelter”