Dehydrating

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
DarenN

Dehydrating

Post by DarenN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:58 pm

Well; i finally did it, after years of thinking about it i finally bought a dehydrator yesterday. Nesco A/H FD75PR. got two extra trays and the jerky caulking gun as well.
this morning i put up 3 1/2 pounds of ground beef jerky. tomorrow i'm going to do some fish jerky with some fresh Sole fillets i picked up. over the course of this week i will be doing something new each day. i'm a total newbie to this so i expect some possible failures. i'll post pics and reports if anyones interested?

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

russb

Re: Dehydrating

Post by russb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:52 pm

a good book to get is Backpacker Gourmet by Linda Jaffe (sp?) It has recipes for meals to dehydrate and then take on the trail. I have only made a few of them and they are good. They also give me ideas to modify my own other recipes to make as dehydrated meals.

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm interested!

I'm a diehard dehydratin' fool. Kudos on the Nesco purchase; That's what I use and it's given good service.

One of my favorite things to do is take a leftover plate of whatever was for Supper and dry the whole thing as a backpacking meal.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

russb

Post by russb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Skids, I do the same. I often make a meal for dinner with the sole purpose of dehydrating the leftovers!

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:45 pm

3 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef yeilded just over 1 1/2 of jerky after 8 hours at 160*F.

Daren........

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Dadgummit.

Now I have to go find something to snack on.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Now I have to go find something to snack on.
i bet it won't be as tasty as my new jerky! :D ((i gotta bag this stuff quick and put it away!!))

russb

Post by russb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Looks tasty.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:05 pm

fish jerky.
20oz of filletted Sole yielded 5.2oz of jerky after 4 1/2 hours at 140*F. seasoned with a Lemon and Herb marinade, it's quite tasty.

Daren.........

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:26 pm

fish jerky.
20oz of filletted Sole yielded 5.2oz of jerky after 4 1/2 hours at 140*F. seasoned with a Lemon and Herb marinade, it's quite tasty.
DarenN, I've never heard of anyone making fish jerky but imagine it would be quite tasty. The closest I've come to fish jerky is smoking salmon---also very tasty. I've joked with friends that i could take road killed possum and make jerky out of it and they would love it. :lol: :lol: Basically, your just tasting the flavor of your marinade. I always liberally sprinkle some coarse black pepper on my jerky while it is still wet. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !