Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
oops56

Re: Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Postby oops56 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 pm

grumdrig wrote:
zelph wrote:
grumdrig wrote:Did you measure the fuel consumption of this stove, Zelph? I'm supposing it would be pretty good.

I have not tested it's consumption. It has a 1 inch diameter wick that provides the fuel. Kero has quite a few btus in it. Hot burning stuff.

How are you coming along with your kero stove? Does it burn hot and consume alot?

Not far. :( Been out of town, and/or gathering supplies. I have a couple ideas to work on.

The one I'm most engaged in is to adapt a Babington burner to backpacking purposes - that is, with a much smaller flame. If you're not familiar with the Babington, you take a brass sphere (e.g. a doorknob) and pipe compressed air inside it, with a very small hole to make an air jet. Then you flow oil or other fuel onto it so that it forms a very thin film over the whole sphere, causing a mist to emerge from the air jet, which you burn.

The key to scaling down, I think, is a smaller hole. But the normally used hole is already mighty small - 0.01". I've got a few 0.005" or so bits, which are unimaginably fragile, and just tried to drill a hole with a dremel drill press, but i learned my dremel isn't even close to spinning true to center. Maybe my cordless is tight enough (it is better) but I have my doubts. So until I can figure out how to drill a hole, I'm stymied.

I know whats wrong you suppost to turn the door knob :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:30 pm

At least your working on a stove ;)

I'll have to do a google on the Babington. Sounds interesting. We wish you well on the tiny hole drilling.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:34 pm

zelph wrote:I'll have to do a google on the Babington.

i just got back from doing that very thing. looks like it would be complicated to build but i only looked at one site.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 am

Yeah, Oops. Multi-use gear is best, so if ever need to open a door out on the trail, that's when I'll turn the knob. :)

DarenN wrote:... looks like it would be complicated to build but i only looked at one site.

I don't think it will be too bad. (Though whether it works is another matter.) For air I'm imagining a soda bottle as a compressed air reservoir with a schrader valve so it can be filled with a lightweight bike pump, with a tube to connect to the stem of the doorknob. (Might have to recharge once or twice as you cook.) Then for fuel, an IV bag & drip valve leading to a needle for filling your basketball, etc., snipped short to be open at the end, almost touching the knob. (Or a medical needle if need be.)

Thanks for the helpful drilling advice. With the bit I want to use I think I'd break it drilling by hand just due to hand shaking (just an average amount - I'm not kicking heroin or anything like that). (And before you say it, I'm not using heroin either. ;) ) I'm thinking i might need to mount some kind of tube to the doorknob to limit gross movements and then turn it by hand with that.

I'm also wondering if I could do it with a laser, salvaged from a DVD drive. The two problems there are fear that I'll blind myself and the fact that I don't know if it will go through brass, especially as brass is reflective. Not my area of expertise.

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:24 pm

I should mention also that the sump pump (and the sump) shouldn't be necessary - adding fuel at just the right rate should eliminate (almost) all over-drip. If there is more than a little, it can just be collected and reused.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:49 pm

grumdrig wrote:Yeah, Oops. Multi-use gear is best, so if ever need to open a door out on the trail, that's when I'll turn the knob. :)

DarenN wrote:... looks like it would be complicated to build but i only looked at one site.

I don't think it will be too bad. (Though whether it works is another matter.) For air I'm imagining a soda bottle as a compressed air reservoir with a schrader valve so it can be filled with a lightweight bike pump, with a tube to connect to the stem of the doorknob. (Might have to recharge once or twice as you cook.) Then for fuel, an IV bag & drip valve leading to a needle for filling your basketball, etc., snipped short to be open at the end, almost touching the knob. (Or a medical needle if need be.)

Thanks for the helpful drilling advice. With the bit I want to use I think I'd break it drilling by hand just due to hand shaking (just an average amount - I'm not kicking heroin or anything like that). (And before you say it, I'm not using heroin either. ;) ) I'm thinking i might need to mount some kind of tube to the doorknob to limit gross movements and then turn it by hand with that.

I'm also wondering if I could do it with a laser, salvaged from a DVD drive. The two problems there are fear that I'll blind myself and the fact that I don't know if it will go through brass, especially as brass is reflective. Not my area of expertise.

How are doing with your progress on this design ???????????

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Moving pretty slowly on this one! I managed to drill the hole in the doorknob pretty easily, once I decided just to try spinning it with my fingers. I broke 2 drill bits accidentally bumping them during the process, but none doing the actual drilling. (The bits are only .0059" diameter.)

In order to connect the air hose for compressed air to the shaft of the handle, I tried to solder on a fitting. I've never soldered fittings before, and it went poorly. I also dropped the thing on the concrete floor twice in the process, denting it, and that's where I've left it. (It got cold out, and my 6 month old has been sucking up my stovebuilding time.)

Then I had a couple ideas, one of which I think is potentially viable: it's to mist oil ultrasonically and then burn it. There are commercial ultrasonic nozzles, which I'd buy one to try if I knew how. I've thought about trying to build one, but I think I'll start by modifying a Glade Wisp or just vibrating a piezo buzzer with oil flowing onto it. But I haven't really gotten very far with that.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Kids and weather put a lid on activities all the time :( :cry:

Your project sounds scientific, I like it!!!!

Atomized fuel you say, sounds viable :geek:

Enjoy your time with the little one, they grow up fast ;)

Caesar

Postby Caesar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Any more work done on this, Zelph?

I think the reason for the increased smell vs. commercial designs is that the big companies use perforated cylinders that double as catalytic converters. I saw a Butterfly kerosene stove a while back that used 16 wicks, run through the same perforated cylinder/catalytic converter setup. Supposed to run decently hot for boiling water and baking, but it suffers from it's massive size.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:30 pm

zelph wrote:The pot stand is incorporated into the burner.

More photos:

Image blowing on the flame makes it go bonkers, burns dirty in this mode.

Image in the back is the generator from my alladin Heater. Plumbers cloth is used in the primer ring. Thanks Skids!!! ;) I use it. good stuff.

Image JB welded it good :)

I came to a standstill on this stove because I lacked one part, the small circular tray to hold the primer wick. I had a die made to form it and then along came the alcohol stove called the "Cobalt" One thing led to another and I was off making alcohol stoves for sale. The last photo shows the ring that I was needing to produce to make this stove available to the public. One thing that motivates stove makers to go into production is feedback from viewers. Not enough oohhs and ahhs to warrant pursuing it. I light this stove upo several times a year to watch how it performs. The smell of it's vapors would certainly not go over well with consumers. :D

The photos show how the flame burns dirty when disturbed by a breeze.

The Ring of Fire stove will burn kerosene with a cleane blue flame also, but...................it's hard to light with a small amount of wick surface that is exposed. An oil lamp is a good example of how kerosene burns clean when the lamp is turned down to it's lowest wick exposure. Same thing holds true with a candle, wicks are trimmed so the candle burns clean and steady.

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”