Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
oops56

Re: Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Postby oops56 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:03 pm

You know anything that burns is going to go up in price. Let it up cause i can make my own heat taps may get pots black thats ok we don't eat the soot :lol: :lol:
The first one sawdust bees wax newspapers.the middle sawdust bees wax the last one sawdust newspaper.I put in a blender with water make like paste then on my home made press water out put in sun to dry.Don't put in oven or on stove in pan to dry the ones with bees wax they with start to smoke .
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:32 pm

oops56 wrote:You know anything that burns is going to go up in price. Let it go up cause i can make my own heat taps may get pots black thats ok we don't eat the soot :lol: :lol:
The first one sawdust bees wax newspapers.the middle sawdust bees wax the last one sawdust newspaper.I put in a blender with water make like paste then on my home made press water out put in sun to dry.Don't put in oven or on stove in pan to dry the ones with bees wax they with start to smoke .

Here one burning corn chips

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:07 pm

This is the smallest made out of a fancy feast can.

boiled 2 cups of 35 degree water. air temp was 35 degrees also. boil time 11.5 min

Pot is a 2 cup stainless steel bowl purchased at the thrift store for 30 cents. It's shape may heat better than straight up sides???

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Did a burn test with alcohol in the newest one.

From first ignition of the stove to boil 15 min. it continued to boil for an additional 6 min. on 1/2 ounce of fuel.

The 1" dia. cotton wick was saturated with fuel when I aded the 1/2 ounce. The stove must be snuffed out prior to it running out of feul to prevent burning of the wick. This makes it necessary now to weigh the stove to determin how much fuel is being used. A new testing method for me.

use denatured alcohol and the stove becomes versatile to be able to use both kerosene and alchy. Fuels we have struggled with are no longer a problem with a stove of this type. Iso and kero being the fuels.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 am

Zelph, put a little oil and pop-corn in that bowl and see how it does. It looks similar to an old pop corn popper bowl I picked up at the thrift store. The sides are straight at an angle so any unpopped kernals fall back to the bottom.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:45 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, put a little oil and pop-corn in that bowl and see how it does. It looks similar to an old pop corn popper bowl I picked up at the thrift store. The sides are straight at an angle so any unpopped kernals fall back to the bottom.

I'll give it a try. The stove does simmer by conroling the oxygen that enters the fuel chamber. Wish I had more time to test it against the common straight sided pots.

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:46 am

Zelph - How does this kind of stove work? I can't figure out what it looks like inside this one. Can you describe it for me and/or maybe even pull out your magic markers and give me a cross-section drawing?

Thanks -g

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 am

grumdrig wrote:Zelph - How does this kind of stove work? I can't figure out what it looks like inside this one. Can you describe it for me and/or maybe even pull out your magic markers and give me a cross-section drawing?

Thanks -g

Same principal as an alladin kero heater.

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:27 pm

zelph wrote:Same principal as an alladin kero heater.

Well, so you said but you also reverse engineered one to find out how it works. I'd rather not have to buy one....

Let me take a stab at it based on the pictures. I'm sure its wrong because I believe there's supposed to be a wick in there somewhere. Maybe you can critique this cross section for me:

It's also not clear to me if the bottom can is supposed to fit tightly around the inner sleeve, or if the hole stops at the outer sleeve like I drew it here. (If that part of the drawing is even on the right planet.)

(Maybe the entire inner sleeve is full of wick?)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 pm

grumdrig wrote:
zelph wrote:Same principal as an alladin kero heater.

Well, so you said but you also reverse engineered one to find out how it works. I'd rather not have to buy one....

Let me take a stab at it based on the pictures. I'm sure its wrong because I believe there's supposed to be a wick in there somewhere. Maybe you can critique this cross section for me:

It's also not clear to me if the bottom can is supposed to fit tightly around the inner sleeve, or if the hole stops at the outer sleeve like I drew it here. (If that part of the drawing is even on the right planet.)

(Maybe the entire inner sleeve is full of wick?)

Yes the inner sleeve is filled with wick from the point were you show the primer wick and downward. A kerosun/alladin type heater has a circular wick with an open area up through the center and hangs down into the fuel resevoir.

This stove is still under developement and do not have any for sale. It's a very interesting stove to watch under low light. It has more odor than a commercial heater :( My clothes wreak of kero odor when I work on the stove. I'm constantly looking for off the shelf containers that would work well to make this stove marketable. Kerosene stores well for a long periode of time unlike many other stove fuels.

As you can see, not many were interested in this type of stove for backpacking or any other use. I have made several for my own use and family members for emergency use. I have two 30 gallon drums of kero for emergency use and also 3 full cords of wood. Oops56 is working on an interesting stove for emergency use. Hopefully he'll be completing it soon and will share it with us.

Hope this was a help to you. As you experiment and have questions send me a PM and we can talk.

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”