Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.

His latest creation: StarLyte Eureka! StarLyte Eureka! StarLyte Eureka!

Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:41 pm

Been working on this project for a long time. I've always been interested in how my Alladin kerosene heater worked. I took it apart to see what made it tick. Did some research on wicks and kerosene and then went on the hunt for parts to use. I'm pretty close to having a good design. The stove has been assembled and looks good for the first few burns.

I received my Swedish Military Trangia in the mail 2 days ago hoping I would be able to use it as the basic container. It was too small. I used a can of chicken for the base container. I used JB Weld to fasten the burner components to the can. The can has two threaded holes in it's surface to be used for filling and allowing air to enter into the can. Air entering the can is necessary for a complete , efficient burn of the fuel. It enters the can and is sucked up around the wick in the initial priming process.

Priming of the stove with 1/4 ounce of alcohol is necessary. I believe that amount will decrease as I tweek the stove. The priming performs the same purpose as what is required by some alcohol stoves.

Thanks to all that have given me direction on editing my new found toys(movies) in the Windows program. I function better after a good nights rest. I read the directions and made my way through it :o . So let me start out by testing the movie on you first while I go back and edit some photos and try more lighting for movies. This movie was made in my garage this AM. I could see just fine and still photos came out just fine but movies need more light. Watch the movie first. At some point you will see me use a pair of tweezers to open and close the air entry hole to adjust the flame. I also will blow air at the stove to cause a turbulance that will cause the stove to burn bright flames. Some of you have seen that bright flame and know that it causes soot. This stove is producing high heat that is allowing the fuel to burn in an efficient manner. Thre is no pressure being built up inside the stove. It's safe, just like the kerosene heaters that are used in your homes(with adequate ventilation)(the alladins and KeroSuns) I'll be back later with some photos. I wanted to try the video first :)

Video has been deleted because of poor quality. See next post for better one.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = www.zelphs-stoveworks.com
zelph

Re: Amazing Mini Kerosene Stove

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm back. I turned the lights on in the science lab, made a difference :) Too much light and you won't be able to see the flames. At the end of the film I have a stainless steel screen on the stove in test. The stove works at it's best with the screen. Air flow is better, flames have white tips(good)

some photos JB welded the burner parts to the chicken can.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm

The pot stand is incorporated into the burner.

More photos:

Image blowing on the flame makes it go bonkers, burns dirty in this mode.

Image in the back is the generator from my alladin Heater. Plumbers cloth is used in the primer ring. Thanks Skids!!! ;) I use it. good stuff.

Image JB welded it good :)
zelph

Postby oops56 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:52 pm

Some how my brain not working cant seam to get it all together the pieces.
Man play with fire man get burnt
oops56

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

oops56 wrote:Some how my brain not working cant seam to get it all together the pieces.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Oops.

Man! Zelph, I can imagine the work you put into that thing!

Kerosene fuel-Blue flames=pretty impressive.

Wow.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm

zelph wrote:Plumbers cloth is used in the primer ring.

You can count on Plumber's cloth to be rock steady consistent when you need it most. you can't hardly make it burn wild as a wick, but it seems to operate at a modestly effecient rate regardless of external circumstances.

I just wish it weren't so freakin' expensive! :)
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Skidsteer

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:13 pm

oops56 wrote:Some how my brain not working cant seam to get it all together the pieces.

Don't try and figure out how it's made by the photos.

the photo of the cans is to show how many different size containers there are that were considered but did not meet the size requirements. Perforated steel comes in various sizes and sources(oil filters for cars and truck and farm machinery) Sometimes I can't remember what I used to make something 6 months ago. :lol: I get sidetracted also!!!!! I'm going to stick with this one for awhile and do some serious testing.

The photo of the Alladin heat generator/catalytic converter is to show you what I was able to look at and get an idea how to construct one of a mini size.

Making the videos/movies was an education. If I don't learn something new every day, I feel bummed. If we venture not we gain not, something like that!!!!

Skids, why is it that plumbers cloth is so expensive? What is it made of? have you researched into it's other uses? Is it a product of space exploration?

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Just testing my lighting and focusing out on you all. Seeing what my camera can and can't do

The first part shows it in the prime mode using alcohol.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:12 pm

I made a smaller version. I used an aluminum cat food can. I used a pair of vintage dividers to cut the hole in the top of the can. One of the photos shows the tip ground to a cutting point. Just took my time going around and round till it got almost through and then used a small knife to get under the cutout and remove it.

I'll be making a backpacking model next after doing more testing. I'll be using a potted meat container shown in one of the photos. I post my photos as they come off the photobucket site. Always in too big of a hurry to rearange them. ;)

This is just an update and wanted to share how to cut a large hole in thin aluminum can tops.

Image These dividers were also used to cut the hole in tin can used in the first prototype.

Image The backpacking model to be next.
Image The newer, smaller one is on the left.
Image I JB welded the suppot ring to the top of the cat food can.
zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:24 pm

This is just a little update:

I started to get some stuff togeter to make another one that is smaller and I then realized a potted meat can was smaller than the Potted Weiner can. So I'm using it instead.

The weight of the microkerosene is 68 grams/2.38 oz. as you see it in the photos. I need to purchase a part on Friday to use as the fill port and air intake. Also need to JB weld the top retaining ring and the fill port that will be installed through the side wall.

The one on the right is the inbetween size. Alcohol is going to be come more expensive in the future as they start using more and more of it to power automobiles. Denatured is $20.00 a gallon in Maryland(harware/paint store) this past summer. What will it cost in future? This little stove might test out to be able to burn bio-diesel and vegie oils.
zelph

Next

Return to Zelph's Stoveworks Factory