BudLyte Super Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: BudLyte Super Stove

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 am

Hmm.. by watching the flame?

I start out by knowing what the flame ring looks like under a pot with out a windscreen and I also know how long 1/2 ounce of fuel will burn untill the stove goes out. I then placed a windscreen with out holes in it to see what happens to the fire ring. The windscreen being in very close proximity to the pot(1/4" all the way around) If the flame reduces in size, then we know we need to add holes. So we add holes and do a test all the way through using 1/2 ounce of fuel. We do this untill we have acheived the best results with the fewest holes.

A windscreen with holes only on one side will cause an unwanted draft the will blow the flame to one side of the pot and the flame will go up the side and be ineficient.

Try doing a video of the inside of your house just to see how your camera works in the video mode. See if there are adjustments you can make before you do an outside session.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I tried the video mode right away when I got the 6X "high speed" SD.

I have downloaded Microsoft MovieMaker to make nice transitions and little text signs in the picture, if needed. I have seen well-made YouTube videos. I am going to try for that quality.

I didn't know that about the holes in the windscreen.

We can get a stiff breeze, and very strong winds in the mountains I would have to use tent stakes to hold down the windscreen and maybe a rock on the pot lid to keep the "cook kit" in place.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm curious if either one of you has tried a white gas "mix"(with heet or slx) with an original height budlyte stove to see if a person could run a little hotter without modifying the stove at all..just a thought..When you need it depending on temperatures..add a little more power. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Postby gregb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I got my new stove today :DB: Thank you zelf! I hope to do inside and outside boil test this weekend.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:09 pm

gregb,
You will likely beat me. It is raining hard here in Oregon.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

realityguy wrote:I'm curious if either one of you has tried a white gas "mix"(with heet or slx) with an original height budlyte stove to see if a person could run a little hotter without modifying the stove at all..just a thought..When you need it depending on temperatures..add a little more power. :mrgreen:

Have not mixed any. Get yours out and try it :o I tried the "Bad Fuel" product and it works just fine ;) Straight out of the can.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 pm

What "bad fuel"?

"Yellow Label" Heet is supposed to be good below 32 F.

"Red Label" Heet is supposed to be low heat and very sooty on the cooking pot.

BTW, if you get soot, use chafing oil. The chafing oil will soak it off the cooking pot.

I would not go mixing volatile chemicals: namely alcohol and gasoline. :geek:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I would not go mixing volatile chemicals: namely alcohol and gasoline.

Stovies will go to extreme measures in the interest of science! :ugeek:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 pm

ConnieD wrote:What "bad fuel"?

"Yellow Label" Heet is supposed to be good below 32 F.

"Red Label" Heet is supposed to be low heat and very sooty on the cooking pot.

BTW, if you get soot, use chafing oil. The chafing oil will soak it off the cooking pot.

I would not go mixing volatile chemicals: namely alcohol and gasoline. :geek:

Acetone was bad fuel and is kind of an inside piece of trivia ;)

Red label is suppose to be hotter than yellow.

chafing oil is a wood burners friend and an enemy to creosote :D

Not me, I don't mix, I use it straight out of the can, E85 is a gas/alcohol mix and recently Mangold on WB said it worked in the regular Super Stove.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm assuming if it was a hotter product with a mixture of the two..someone would have already patented it as "Ultra Fuel".. ;) That's almost as dangerous as using gasoline in aluminum stoves!..don't ya think? :lol: Let me know what happens when you get your first meltdown!... :mrgreen: I guess with a wick system and no inner pool,it can't be too dangerous..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”