1/2oz//2cup boil?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

1/2oz//2cup boil?

Post by DarenN » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 pm

the holey grail of alcohol stove building seems to be boiling 2cups of water with 1/2oz of fuel.
a recent thread discussing BTU potential of different fuels got me thinking.........
i must have burned a gallon of methyl hydrate in dozens of dozens of different stoves that i have and have built. it just ain't happenning. i'm thinking that we Canadian stovies are not going to be able to attain the grail due to the fact that we can't get denatured alcohol. the best we can get is methyl hydrate.

DarenN......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: 1/2oz//2cup boil?

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Start off with 70 degree water from the kitchen faucet. Room temperature close to the same. Make no wind currents during testing to disturb the flame patern under the pot. Pull up a chair and watch the water boil. :D

I believe those first two are the standard conditions set by some pioneer stove makers. They refer to them as "ideal conditions"

Once out in the field you have to do all that you can to maintain the best conditions by using a windscreen etc.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi DarenN,

Have You ever tried mixing Alcohols?
I can usually shave a little boil time by
using some 91% Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol)
with Methanol. There is a point with ISO mixes
where they become sooty ( usually around 50%).

Cheers!

P.S. You make some nice looking stoves and pot stands!

P.S.S. Thats 91% ISO, not 70% ISO

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 pm

Zelph;
i always test under 'ideal conditions' so that i have an idea of what a stove system 'can' do, and strive for that in the field.

Allen;
thank you for the kind words! :)
i've never tried mixing methyl hydrate with other alcohols. my thinking on it was that MH was as pure as i could get and adding anything would only screw it up. making it less pure, less BTU potential.

i haven't checked at the drugstore yet, but it might possibly be that we can't get 91% ISO in Canada either. (damned gvmt!)

[aside]: at this time we are unable to buy MSR type Naptha stove bottles. the G-men say they need kid-proof lids and better warning labels, so they have been pulled from store shelves untill the manufacturers comply. :twisted:

DarenN.......

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Can you get Everclear?

The stuff is a dynamite fuel and you won't really care if the stove boils two cups on half on ounce. :mrgreen:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Can you get Everclear?

The stuff is a dynamite fuel and you won't really care if the stove boils two cups on half on ounce. :mrgreen:
i don't know if we can get it or not. not much of a hard-stuff guy. [(singing) as a matter of fact, i like beer (stop singing :lol: )]
in reality, i couldn't give a fat rats a$$ if i boil water on a half ounce or not. it's just a benchmark to me. in fact; i'd like it to take a little longer. i like to watch the fire. ;)
i came back from the grocery store today with some pot-pie pans and popcorn. gonna try out Opps' "stovie popcorn"!! :D

DarenN...........

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Oooh...pot pie pans.

Those things are pretty close to the same dimensions as a Sierra cup. I've been meaning to get one and add a wire rim/ handle to it and try it out.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:07 am

I've been thinking about trying this 16 oz. Sierra cup as a backpacking Wok:

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Jumbo_S ... p/1467.htm

Cheers!

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:32 am

Allen wrote:I've been thinking about trying this 16 oz. Sierra cup as a backpacking Wok:

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Jumbo_S ... p/1467.htm

Cheers!
Why do guys do this to me i got a sierra cup small just put tin foil over it small alcohol stove with a cover over it. Dam i got to do it now.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 am

oops56,
You can cook almost anything in a Wok.

It looks like You may hit 500 posts today! :)

I'll make You a Penny Stove cause I know they're Your favorite :lol:

Cheers!
Allen