sheba 2..two stage stove..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: sheba 2..two stage stove..

Postby realityguy » Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 am

Well..I should have used the heavier stainless pot also that I'm more accustomed to and ran the batch dry,bag the water.That pot with lid weighs less than 3 oz.,pretty thin stuff but it held up okay with just minor popping ocassionally,no warpage.
The stove surprised me in that it burned along the outside edge only without fuel in the outer burner!It appeared that it was only burning where the oxygen met the heated gasses flowing upward from the inner well.I'll have to try it again with its own higher potstand to make sure the inner well/burner reduces the heat correctly to the simmer mode.This pot has the handles sticking out that rest on the windscreen and the stove was burning hotter than expected.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

I was surprsed in how the stove burned with the flame curtain around the outside perimeter when there was no fuel in the outer area of the stove,only inside the inner well..here's a sample of the burn at about the 20 minute point(darkroom timer started at 30 minutes)..

This pot is ultralight and also ultra thin,weighs less than 3 ounces with the lid.The handles rest on the top of the windscreen for support so I didn't use the potstand which would have made the stove sit about 1/4-3/8" higher off the burner.That difference in distance would probably have made the stove burn cooler,by allowing the outside oxygen to get farther under the pot before reaching the gases for burning.
it looks like I'll have to make more muffins and retry the higher potstand to see if corrects that problem..Oh Darn! :lol: :hungry:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 am

it looks like I'll have to make more muffins and retry the higher potstand to see if corrects that problem..Oh Darn! :lol: :hungry:

Oh No!!!!!!!! more hard work ahead, poor fellow!!!!!! boohoooooo Oh Darn!!!!!! :DB:

Wait till I show you my super thin pot :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am

I don't know when I'll have more time for testing..bought another bicycle(10 speed Sekai Grand Tour 2500..24lbs) yesterday and am cleaning that up..4 bikes in about 4 days.. :o

Wait till I show you my super thin pot :mrgreen:

My light pots..bought two of those at a thrift store for $1 each..originally had a couple side plastic or bakelite side handles that screwed unto the metal wings but they were deemed unnecessary.I think I could reduce the weight more by using a smaller top knob but right now it's a convenience to have so left in on the pot.The pot will hold 27 oz of water to the brim under the lid,probably a maximum of 20-22 oz for boiling without losing too much water.It is big enough for my 4" baking pots with a rounded top lid for extra room for rising muffins.
For steaming..I can add about 3/8" water to the top of the curtain hook "inner pot stand"..and it'll have water for the first 20-23 minutes of the burn,then burn dry for the duration of the burn without warpage to the thin steel.Aluminum would probably come out twisted and warped severely..If yours is light aluminum..give that a try with your pot.. :lol:
The only problem I have is that the lid is so light and tight that it has a tendency to dance up and down to let heat and steam escape...need to add a rock on top in the field to hold the heat in better..

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 am

Hmm..interesting..Did another muffin in my regular stainless baking pot using the sheba with its higher potstand.
Did it 100% dry,3/4 oz of fuel in the inner chamber only..The flame started out small but as the stove heated up the pot the flame migrated to a full-on burn to the outer edge,about 3-1/2" circle..and burned for 18-1/2 minutes! :o

I added another 1/4 oz to finish the muffin and put the nuts and mini chocolate chips on a bit late..oh well...browned nice around the pan edges..about 22-23 minutes..unattended.. while I did other things on the counter.

This shot was taken at 18+ minutes when the burner burned out and the nuts and chocolate were added on top.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 am

It's nice how the stainless oven can be heated dry for a good browning feature.....nice, nice. Nice way to bake in the summer months, makes for a cool kitchen :D

Most alcohol stoves will form flames to the outer most diameter of the fuel container once the container gets heated up.

The only problem I have is that the lid is so light and tight that it has a tendency to dance up and down to let heat and steam escape...need to add a rock on top in the field to hold the heat in better..

That a good indicator to keep you informed that the stove is working and when you're out of fuel/water.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 am

I think I'll need to raise the pot more to get the stove back to the simmer mode and keep the burner at its simmer diameter of about 1"..oh well...It was surprising that the flow of gases go well beyond the inner burner..means I really DON'T have to add fuel to the outer ring for a good boil,only to the inner well,and it'll move there on its own over a void of 1/2"!
I only need to make a higher lightweight potstand that will rest on the outer ring..now where'd I put my curtainhooks?.. :lol:
Keep in mind that the 1" burner hole is creating a ring on it's own of about 2-1/2" rather than the 1"...I can probably assume that I can make a 4" ring with a similar 1" center ring..once the pot reaches the temperature required.
Now add water to the pot..the burner more than likely will stay at that 1" level until the water reaches or gets close to a boil,then shift out for more heat...
Stainless is the only way to go when dry-baking with just an occasional pop to the materials and no long term warpage that I've experienced. Even the lightweight pot came through with flying colors,even after a good ten minutes of burning dry.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I once set a tea light burner onto a soup can to do a video of it. That is when I noticed the way vapors will leave the source and go outward to the larger diameter. I'll see if I can find the photo of it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpos ... ostcount=3

Scroll down to photo "tcandle006.jpg" and click on that one. See how the vapors come to the edge of the support can.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 pm

just tinkering wrote:I have seen some crazy things with windscreens as well. The interiror heats up, the stove burns hotter and if the pot to windscreen gap is small, have the flame front jump to the top for a while. Too bad I didn't take any video.

The more you tinker, the more you see :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 pm

I like that dry oven muffin.

The stainless steel pan is the "secret"?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”