heat exchanger

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
bmike

heat exchanger

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:59 am

was inspired by an msr heat exchanger. made a heat exchanger, wind screen, pot stand combo.
worked well with a pressurized stove. a modded penny stove really cranked in this thing - sounded like a jetboil!
a starlyte and ion boiled in not much less than their normal times.

its heavy. its hard to pack. it was fun to build to see if the concept worked.
looking down from the top when underway you could see a nice blue glow coming up the sides. plenty of heat too... so hot with some of my stoves that it burned a pattern on my test board!

so... now to try and combine some sort of curved surface with the corrugations... :idea:

Ridgerunner

Re: heat exchanger

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:18 am

Nice job, bmike. I like your keyhole method of connecting the ends of the heat exchanger together.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:37 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice job, bmike. I like your keyhole method of connecting the ends of the heat exchanger together.
thanks. i use that method on my windscreens and caldera cone too.
not the lightest option - but sturdy.

sort of wish this would work better - but with a low pressure or no pressure stove (ion, starlyte, FSM) it doesn't really decrease the boil time.
with a pressurized stove it works like a rocket.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:48 pm

not the lightest option - but sturdy
Maybe not the lightest but you never have to worry about losing fasteners. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:20 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I go along with you on the keyhole usage. Excellent choice. Aluminum binding posts for the light weight.

Nice idea Bmike!!!!!

Welcome to bplite and thanks for the input. Your stove making knowledge is most appreciated along with everything you contribute.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 pm

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:
I go along with you on the keyhole usage. Excellent choice. Aluminum binding posts for the light weight.

Nice idea Bmike!!!!!

Welcome to bplite and thanks for the input. Your stove making knowledge is most appreciated along with everything you contribute.
newbie stove maker here for sure. been playing around for the last few months.
getting into it though. i have a box full of cast off bottles and cans, and i scour the shelves and any retail establishment i enter sizing up tins, bottles, cans, etc.

long time builder and maker of things - so i love this stuff. usually the first version isn't pretty - but i'm on to 5 or 6 for the cones and windscreens and feel like i've worked out the bugs. really eyeing up used milling machines online. would love to be able to machine metal as easily as i can machine wood.

re: binder posts - you can use standard al. ones from the hardware store - but you'll have to chop down the thread length and binder post. the ones i use are brass or bronze - found them through a bookmaking / scrapbooking site. haven't been able to locate them anywhere else online, and certainly not locally. might have to dig through thomasnet or fastenall. the standard ones require a really large "key" hole... they didn't feel right so i sought out the smaller ones. they probably weigh as much as a standard set.

to make sure they stay on i've used thread lock on them. if i settled on a design i'd use the red color - but after the blue gets cooked enough its pretty tough to break those threads loose - esp. on something so small.

ordered a threaded insert tool tonight. can't wait for it to arrive. also anxiously awaiting a bunch of some al. bottles and canisters i found online and order last week. :D plenty of late nights tinkering in my future.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:34 am

Yes, for sure stock up on goodies for building and designing. Winters in Vermont can get you snowed in.

Your nearest Ace hardware store may have the aluminum posts. I got mine in an Ace.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 am

zelph wrote:Yes, for sure stock up on goodies for building and designing. Winters in Vermont can get you snowed in.

Your nearest Ace hardware store may have the aluminum posts. I got mine in an Ace.
i can get the al. ones... but they are huge compared to the ones i'm using on the keyholes. the guys at my ace know me on a first name basis...!
i'll post comparison pics... :)

going out for a hike today. not much snow in town - but a friend and i are going to walk up the mountain road at a little bump nearby.
taking the starlyte and my new stove to test. we'll make tea when we get to the top.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi bmike,

Great design work and excellent workmanship, thanks for sharing your ideas.

Tony

bmike

Post by bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Tony wrote:Hi bmike,

Great design work and excellent workmanship, thanks for sharing your ideas.

Tony
thanks...
have v.2 in the works. going to model it on the jet boil idea.
i'm looking for a al. can that fits around my snow peak 700. inside of this i'll create a finned pattern out of aluminum, about 1/2" tall. then can will then extend up the pot a bit as a heat reflector. might also affix some legs to it so it acts as a stand as well.