CANISTER "RING OF FIRE"

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

CANISTER "RING OF FIRE"

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 pm

This is my first try at a canister stove. Tony's work is inspiring. In 4 years or so I may get good at it. It is challenging and fun. This stove is made from a quart can.

It weighs 44grams (without valve :) )

It is 7/16th thick at it's highest point

I made 1 test boil today just to see how it works.

It boiled 2 cups of water in 9 min.

Don't know how much fuel was used. I was in too much of a hurry to test the flame pattern to get my triple beam out to weigh the canister. Further tests next week will be more in depth. I think the results will be good.

My weekend plans have directed me away from my stove making so I submit what I've got so far. :oops:

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Re: CANISTER "RING OF FIRE"

Postby russb » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Very nice. What did you use for a valve and to connect the canister to the stove, etc...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 pm

russb wrote:Very nice. What did you use for a valve and to connect the canister to the stove, etc...

I used the valve from the Brunton Remote adaptor stand.

I just did 3 more tests.

2 cups are boiling around 7.5 min average.

Fuel usage is 7.5 grams = 7ml of fuel per boil.

110 grams of fuel per canister equates to 12 meals per. I use 1 cup water per pack of Ramen and 1 cup to make a drink.

I'm still far from finishing my tests. I have different ring designs using different materials. The ring concept is what I'm trying to perfect. It worked great with alcohol and now with canister fuel.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:44 am

i'd like to see more of this new stove, Zelph. connections and attachments? jetting?

Daren.......
Last edited by DarenN on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:14 pm

DarenN wrote:i'd like to more of this new stove, Zelph. connections and attachments? jetting?

Daren.......

This new stove is "radical". I heats the water against everyones notions that flames up the side of the pot are a no-no. There are no flames that touch the bottom of the pot. This is a complete stove, no pot stand required. The pot sits right on ground zero, just as stable as you could ever want.

Fuel consumption is close to what Tony has gotten with his ultra light stove. I think he used 5+ grams of fuel to bring the water temp up to 180 degrees F. I'm using 7+ grams(7+ml) to bring it to 212 degrees F.

Connections are right from the Brunton factory valve set-up. I'm using vinyl hose connected to it dropping the hose ID down to 1/8" ID to fit an aluminum tube that is JB welded to the stove. For safety reasons(following Tony's lead) I won't show the tubing and how it's connected nothing fancy. It's my first attempt, had to see how the fuel burns coming straight out of the canister, no introduced air to enhance the burn. My next challenge is to figure out how to do that. I would think it would have a positive effect on the performance.

The video shows how the flame increase looks as I turn the valve to increase flow.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 pm

no jet and no combustion air, eh? that's interesting. i wonder what kind of pressure your burner is under. how hot does the bottom of the burner get?
nice work on this one, Zelph!

((that Brunton stand.
i got mine yesterday. it's obvious they never asked a backpacker for input when they were designing it. it's a lot more bulky and heavy than
it needs to be. i'll be fabbing up a new set of legs for it this week. out of aluminum. it'll lower the entire unit by 1.25 inches, and drop a
bunch of weight.))

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Great job, Zelph. The stove looks great ablaze. The ROF has already proved skeptics wrong as far as heating from the outside wall only to get a rolling boil. This puppy is not any different in that respect. Now your working with a more volitale fuel. Please be careful and you might want to stay out of Moma's kitchen on this one for awhile. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:58 pm

That's pretty impressive work Zelph. Is the burner made from can lids or bottoms? If so, which can fits a Foster's so well?
I've got a healthy respect for the step up in challenges for working with pressurized fuel. I think I'll stick to alcohol stoves for now. Be safe.

Tony

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:17 am

Hi Zelph,

Nice work, welcome to the world of canister stove making, from watching your video the flame is very lean which means you need some pre mixed air.

and yes I am still a skeptic about the ring of fire efficiency.

Fuel consumption is close to what Tony has gotten with his ultra light stove. I think he used 5+ grams of fuel to bring the water temp up to 180 degrees F. I'm using 7+ grams(7+ml) to bring it to 212 degrees F.

Correct figures from the 24.8g stove are
Initial performance is promising I did two tests, one slow 12 minutes and one fast one 5m 30s, the slow test used 5.5g of fuel to raise 500ml (2.11cups) of water 80ºC (176ºF) and the fast test used 6.2g to raise 500ml (2.11cups) of water 80ºC.
and that was with a small diameter pot. Please note 500ml raised 80ºC (176ºF) not stopped at 180F, what temperature was your water at the start, I also doubt that your water boils at 212ºF. I stop my tests at 95ºC (203ºF) because the boiling temperature is different from place to place and day to day.

The best figures I have measured are 4.2g of fuel to raise 500ml (2.11cups) 80ºC (176ºF) in 2m 30s, that is something like 40% better that your rough figures. accurate figures would help to do a proper comparison.

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am

Hi all. Thanks so much for the encouraging words. This is a new area of fun for me :D

it's obvious they never asked a backpacker for input when they were designing it. it's a lot more bulky and heavy than
it needs to be. i'll be fabbing up a new set of legs for it this week. out of aluminum

That's for sure!!!! I took the legs off the stand and wow are they heavy :o

Nice work, welcome to the world of canister stove making, from watching your video the flame is very lean which means you need some pre mixed air.

and yes I am still a skeptic about the ring of fire efficiency.

:D Thanks Tony, canisters are interesting and much more demanding of respect when it comes to DIY. Thanks for your observation of the stove burning lean. I'll try to inject air today. My figures compared to yours was just a quick guesstimate type based on a quick look-up of your results and a half-fast calculation at my keyboard. I need to make a set-up to get more accurate readings electronically. I won't give more numbers until such a set-up is in use.

I hope to find the original stove used with a Snapple bottle as the pot. This week will be the "Week of Organization" and I should be able to find it. It will then be sent to you for testing. You'll no longer be a skeptic after your tests are complete ;)

Is the burner made from can lids or bottoms? If so, which can fits a Foster's so well?

It's made from a top and bottom of a 1 quart can. I have an aluminum can that I will use for my final stove once the bugs are worked out. The Fosters can worked out well. I have quite a few pots/mugs that come close to the same size for testing.

Please be careful and you might want to stay out of Moma's kitchen on this one for awhile.
Great job, Zelph. The stove looks great ablaze. The ROF has already proved skeptics wrong as far as heating from the outside wall only to get a rolling boil. This puppy is not any different in that respect. Now your working with a more volitale fuel. Please be careful and you might want to stay out of Moma's kitchen on this one for awhile. :lol:

I will surely be much more careful working with this type of fuel and will keep it far away from mama's kitchen.
this is new territory for me, I'll take my time and proceed slowly.

I think of the day when I will invert the canister and give the stove a shot of liquid fuel. I'll be outside on a calm day as the sun is setting with a new inexpensive video cam rolling for the event. :mrgreen: For now, it's go slow ;)

I'll post as new new stuff becomes available.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”